need a second or third or fourth opinion

Ha, l like soldered on lugs, but people don't use them. Personal l hate ferules, ok they might make sure all conductors go under the screw, but a lot of them when pulled on come out of the ferrule, particular when an incorrect type crimp tool is used.
Regards
Kevin

Soldered is good , if time consuming , but , like ferrules and crimps , require a competent person to fit them - dry joints , burnt insulation or even more time sleeving them .
Paul

Soldered is good
Paul

We have regulations that forbid using soldered wire termination in certain industries for the power cables. I believe you can guess what happens with the tin if due to vibration or any other reason wire gets just a little bit loose?
Won't you get additional heat? Won't the tin melt?
I would never use it for more than 12-24V.

Ha, l like soldered on lugs, but people don't use them. Personal l hate ferules, ok they might make sure all conductors go under the screw, but a lot of them when pulled on come out of the ferrule, particular when an incorrect type crimp tool is used.
Regards
Kevin

I used to feel the same way. Why add another place for wiring to become intermittent? But now I have a good crimper made by Phoenix Contact that does a great job.

We have regulations that forbid using soldered wire termination in certain industries for the power cables. I believe you can guess what happens with the tin if due to vibration or any other reason wire gets just a little bit loose?
Won't you get additional heat? Won't the tin melt?
I would never use it for more than 12-24V.

There was a time when nearly every connection in a house was soldered. So no, it'll hold up for a century at least. Lord knows I've cut enough of these old connections loose when I worked as an electrician...

From http://www.blotorches.com/

"The other interesting technique used by electricians is that they would twist the wires together in a junction box, then take a ladle that had a swivel mechanism. The ladle was at the end of a steel handle about 18 inches long. The object of the swivel was so no matter what angle the handle was in, the ladle, which held molten lead, would always be vertical. The electrician would walk through his new construction project, hold this ladle up to his freshly twisted wires, and dip the wires into the lead. This was done so the electrical connections would not work loose."

Not actually dip the wires, but raise the solder pot up to coat the wires with solder.

Schneider says screw terminal AWG14 to AWG12.

If AWG12 fits why doesn't AWG14 with ferrules fit?

Sounds like something is wrong here.

Schneider says screw terminal AWG14 to AWG12.

If AWG12 fits why doesn't AWG14 with ferrules fit?

Sounds like something is wrong here.

Info above was for the atv320 1/4HP drives - ATV320U02M2C
http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/product/download-pdf/ATV320U02M2C

Electrical connection
Control, screw terminal: 0.5...1.5 mm² AWG 20...AWG 16
Motor/Braking resistor, screw terminal: 2.5...4 mm² AWG 14...AWG 12
Power supply, screw terminal: 2.5...4 mm² AWG 14...AWG 12

UL makes no such distinction.

But the NEC has rules that make it very difficult to use anything smaller than 14ga wire for field wiring of power circuits, regardless of voltage. Control circuits, no problem, but power circuits require special attention in terms of protection and for the load conductors coming from a VFD that becomes a hassle for the panel builder, so it's a lot easier to just say no smaller than 14ga.

VFD mfrs likely say this on the drive installation instructions as well, so if the drive says that, then the panel builder must pass that info on in their instructions, and THAT would indeed be part of their UL508A procedure.

VFD mfrs likely say this on the drive installation instructions as well, so if the drive says that, then the panel builder must pass that info on in their instructions, and THAT would indeed be part of their UL508A procedure.

I quoted above what the manufacturer says (AWG12-AWG14).

I bet the problem is that someone is trying to put the wires on the wrong terminals.
There is a problem with the drawings, the comprehension of them or reading the markings on the drive.

UL makes no such distinction.

But the NEC has rules that make it very difficult to use anything smaller than 14ga wire for field wiring of power circuits, regardless of voltage. Control circuits, no problem, but power circuits require special attention in terms of protection and for the load conductors coming from a VFD that becomes a hassle for the panel builder, so it's a lot easier to just say no smaller than 14ga.

thank you

i'm going from memory, but the installation manual states minimum 14 awg to max 14 awg. and min 14 awg to max 10 awg. just forget which one is line leads and which one is T leads.
and this problem only recently presented itself when switching from ATV312s to the ATV320.

the OD of the ferule is the problem. I like them, because the panel builder does a nice job making them look very professionally done. wonder if they could make them look professionally done with the fork blade thingies.

Plus, wires seem to loosen. don't get me started on UL torque specifications.

That wire size requirement is specific to UL508 for power conductors. Not for signal or control conductors.

Why ask why...

My preference is no ferrules. waste of time and money.
Spade lugs will work if you gotta have a wire end.