RX3i and Profinet to remote racks

Then....If EGD is a pain, I will stay with using Profinet.

My 7 slot rack is a little full...it is a shame that there is not a module that talks Modbus TCP and Profinet.
There is, the IC695CPE400.

Take out the 7 slot and add it, plus a 5 or 10 slot expansion with Profinet slave.

Last edited:
There is, the IC695CPE400.

Take out the 7 slot and add it, plus a 5 or 10 slot expansion with Profinet slave.

Interesting device...I like
However I still need to add 2 RX3i TC Modules (IC695ALG306/312 per customer requirements which requires a universal blackplane)...where would I mount those?

I see there is also an RSTi-EP EPSCPE100 standalone CPU. SI this only for RSTi-EP modules?
What is the difference between the CPE100 and the CPE400?

Last edited:
Interesting device...I like
However I still need to add 2 RX3i TC Modules (IC695ALG306/312 per customer requirements which requires a universal blackplane)...where would I mount those?

I see there is also an RSTi-EP EPSCPE100 standalone CPU. SI this only for RSTi-EP modules?
What is the difference between the CPE100 and the CPE400?
It may be a bit pricey but if you could move them closer to the sensor source it may justify 2 IC695CEP001 Profinet units. These are designed to take the place of old Genius modules. You can add a one slot expansion, but it's the old 90-30 slot.

I'm not familiar with the CPE100 details, it's a stand alone CPU and Profinet Controller with limited capabilities: RSTi-EP CPE100 is documented here. It's the new GE "Micro" PLC.

Last edited:
How do you set up a target for CPE400??
I cannot get to the example below..where the "PACSystems CPE400" is shown directly below Hardware configuration.
What module is required in the RX3i Universal Rack for Profinet communications to the CPE400?
Running ME Ver 9.0 Sim 7.

CPE400-ME.gif

Welll....Sim 8 now adds "PACSystems RX3i Rackless" to the target choices. When Selected, now I see CPE400. So far so good...
If I am using Profinet, which module do I need in an RX3i Universal rack?

I am using a 7 slot Universal rack for 2 Analog IO modules that require the Universal Rack and also TC modules that require the Universal rack.
I tried the setup above using the "7-Slot (Slot 1) PNS30717".
it has the Analog IO modules i need to add....but does not show the TC modules (ALG306/312). Problem.....

Last edited:
That would be the Rx3i rack-mounted Profinet scanner IC695PNS001.

Edit:
I just created a new CPE400 project under PME 9.5 and I think I understand your question now. To add a Profinet drop, right click on the Profinet item in the project tree in the navigator window and then click "Add IO Device". Then expand the last "Rx3iPNSxxxxxxx" item in the list and select "7 Slot (Slot1) PAC Systems Rx3i Profinet IO Scanner".
My understanding is that each of the Rx3iPNSxxxxxx items corresponds to a firmware version. I'm not sure whether or not the firmware gets automatically updated when you download the hardware configuration with the network cable connected. In the system I recently commissioned, I used VersaMax Profinet scanners rather than the RX3i scanner. I selected the last scanner in the list and everything worked fine, but that could have been dumb luck.

Last edited:
That would be the Rx3i rack-mounted Profinet scanner IC695PNS001.

Edit:
I just created a new CPE400 project under PME 9.5 and I think I understand your question now. To add a Profinet drop, right click on the Profinet item in the project tree in the navigator window and then click "Add IO Device". Then expand the last "Rx3iPNSxxxxxxx" item in the list and select "7 Slot (Slot1) PAC Systems Rx3i Profinet IO Scanner".
My understanding is that each of the Rx3iPNSxxxxxx items corresponds to a firmware version. I'm not sure whether or not the firmware gets automatically updated when you download the hardware configuration with the network cable connected. In the system I recently commissioned, I used VersaMax Profinet scanners rather than the RX3i scanner. I selected the last scanner in the list and everything worked fine, but that could have been dumb luck.

Check what you can add to the slots in the 7-Slot rack (right click PACSystems Profinet module and select "Configure". Then..... select an open slot.... and insert module from the selection on the right.
There are not any TC Modules (ALG 306/312 or ALG406/412) to select...even in Analog Inputs???? But there are modules shown that will only go in a Universal rack......just not TC?

Form the other Profinet connection on the CPE400, I am talking to 2 VersaMax racks. (see previously post #13 pic). I am hoping to use an RX3i Univeral Rack with some TC Modules and additional Analog I/O.

Last edited:
PME 9.5 lists the ALG312 and ALG412 as options, but not the ALG306.

Odd...no 6 point in?
You would have thought that it would have been easy to add the ALG306 configuration.... if the ALG312 already existed??

Why would the ALG306/312 TC modules not be in the SIM 8 for PME 9.0?
Do they stop releasing SIMS for a previous version after a new version comes out?
I did not really want to jump to 9.5 so quickly. (I heard it was mostly to solve Win 10 systems.)

I really wanted to try out 1 of these CPE400 units, but there appears to be limits as to RX3i module compatibility.

Odd...no 6 point in?
You would have thought that it would have been easy to add the ALG306 configuration.... if the ALG312 already existed??

Why would the ALG306/312 TC modules not be in the SIM 8 for PME 9.0?
Do they stop releasing SIMS for a previous version after a new version comes out?
I did not really want to jump to 9.5 so quickly. (I heard it was mostly to solve Win 10 systems.)

I really wanted to try out 1 of these CPE400 units, but there appears to be limits as to RX3i module compatibility.

Give GE tech support a shout-out and ask these questions, they are often behind on the web but happy to help. They often release SIMs for older versions of PME.
https://ge-ip.force.com/communities/CC_Contact

Last edited:
A while ago I had great success deploying out some remote IO using the IC695CEP001 module Russ mentioned earlier on a Redundant PLC system. I believe at the time it was (and maybe still is) the only GE Profinet remote IO supporting redundant PLCs.

Another deployment in the same facility utilized RXi controllers for a web of remote IO drops withing a processing lab. It's worked out really well. How does the RXi compare to the CPE100 and CPE400 (or that family)? I don't believe those were around when we specified out the RXi controller.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious how these compare.

A while ago I had great success deploying out some remote IO using the IC695CEP001 module Russ mentioned earlier on a Redundant PLC system. I believe at the time it was (and maybe still is) the only GE Profinet remote IO supporting redundant PLCs.

Another deployment in the same facility utilized RXi controllers for a web of remote IO drops withing a processing lab. It's worked out really well. How does the RXi compare to the CPE100 and CPE400 (or that family)? I don't believe those were around when we specified out the RXi controller.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious how these compare.
The CPE400 is replacing the RXi Controller (Not the RXi computers). The CPE100 is sort of a Micro sized PAC, or VersaMax Micro dislacment.