RX3i and Profinet to remote racks

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
What is involved in Profinet comms to remote racks?
Is it easier to use than Modbus comms?
With Modbus I need to open and close comms for reads and writes and all the IO is in the remote racks.....arghhh.

What is involved in Profinet comms to remote racks?
Is it easier to use than Modbus comms?
With Modbus I need to open and close comms for reads and writes and all the IO is in the remote racks.....arghhh.

1. Much easyier than MB, if you read the instructions before you start.
2. How many rack? Generally set 1 channel for each R/W per rack and leave them open.

But then MB is a bit lame, remember its an open protocol, cheap not efficient.

Last edited:
Currently it is a 90-30 5 slot rack with a 372CPU only. The Ethernet runs from the 372 to the IC200EB1001 on VersaMax rack 1 and another cable goes from that rack1 to a IC200ERM002 in the other VersaMax rack.
They are talking Modbus TCP to 2 VersaMax remote racks.
I want to change to RX3i main rack with IC695PNC001 Profinet Controller and change to a IC200PNS001 (Profinet IO Scanner) module on each VersaMax rack.

Follow...?

That sounds logical as there is no I/O in the CPU rack you may want to consider the stand aloan CPU (CPE340?).

Welll... the 90-30 rack is being replaced with an RX3i 7 slot rack
I am adding 2 TC modules which require installation in main rack.
also....
I will need an ETM001 for Modbus communications to the Honeywell High Limit.
and...
Profinet Controller module to talk to VersaMax racks.

I'm currently commissioning an upgrade from a CPU374 with 12 remote VersaMax I/O drops using Genius. We're moving to a CPE330 and Profinet.
The Profinet tool included in Machine Edition makes the initial setup of the scanners easy. The mix of I/O modules at each drop is part of the PLC's hardware configuration and you can actually see the addressing for each module. No more counting up the total number of inputs and outputs in the drop and figuring out offsets from the starting address.
So far, the entire experience has been pretty painless.

Yes...once I placed the Profinet Controller in my Project and laid in the IO, it is pretty easy to follow.
WAY easier than Modbus and faster than Genius Bus.

Nice to have options. Unless you already ordered, I suggest adding an RSTi node for thr T'couples & Serial to go with the 'stand aloan' CPU, it may save some $$.

Nice to have options. Unless you already ordered, I suggest adding an RSTi node for the T'couples & Serial to go with the 'stand aloan' CPU, it may save some $$.

The previous 4 jobs for the customer involved the same rack configuration , but all the Analog and TC modules were in the main rack and I used an expansion rack for the Digital IO.
In those jobs I was replacing an AB SLC500.
This one is a different manufacture and they used this wierd 90-30/VersaMax configuration. I may still move the VersaMax Analog IO to the main rack...that can be done with 2 ALG442 modules.
I want to keep everything as common as possible.

I am making the control systems common across all the equipment and running Wonderware across the top to monitor/control all of them.

You likely already know this, but it is best to keep the P'net network segregated from Wanderwhere & PAC programmig. This usually means 2 E'nt switches. While setting up & debug I put a patch cable between them.

Yes... Wonderware is not running on top of the Profinet or the Modbus network. The PC on each piece of equipment is connected to the CPE305 through a network switch which also connects to the network Printer, the Master Wonderware PC (which monitors/controls all systems). I use the GESRTP DAServer to communicate from WW to the PLC.

Last edited:
Here is the actual plc layout with components.
Now I am thinking it will be easier to do EGD.
I am replacing the 90-30 rack with an RX3i rack.
I already need an ETM001 module to talk Modbus TCP to a remote device.

I could also use the ETM001 for EGD to the VersaMax racks and not have to change any modules o the VersaMax racks?

PLC Dwg-ALD-2.jpg

That will work and you won't have to change any hardware in the I/O racks. I'm a little surprised they originally set it up for ModbusTCP and not EGD. You will need to create a new hardware configuration for the I/O drop that includes the produced and consumed EGD exchanges to match the exchanges you create for the Rx3i and download it to the EBI001.
My recent experience is that Profinet is significantly easier to set up and commission than EGD. If you've never done an EGD system before the time savings in setting up the Profinet system may offset the hardware cost of the Profinet interface for the I/O drop.

That will work and you won't have to change any hardware in the I/O racks. I'm a little surprised they originally set it up for ModbusTCP and not EGD. You will need to create a new hardware configuration for the I/O drop that includes the produced and consumed EGD exchanges to match the exchanges you create for the Rx3i and download it to the EBI001.
My recent experience is that Profinet is significantly easier to set up and commission than EGD. If you've never done an EGD system before the time savings in setting up the Profinet system may offset the hardware cost of the Profinet interface for the I/O drop.

Then....If EGD is a pain, I will stay with using Profinet.

My 7 slot rack is a little full...it is a shame that there is not a module that talks Modbus TCP and Profinet.