SLC 5/05 program could not be compiled!

raymondkosick

So after hours searching google and looking through everything I could find here, I have an issue that has stumped me for quite some time and was wondering if you might be able to help. I frequently make online edits to our SLC 5/05 that runs our process. We are constantly evolving the process to make improvements, and we are a 24 hour operation, so that means stopping to download is not entirely happy times. Lately in the middle of making changes I have been getting the pop up error that says 'Program could not be compiled! Online Edit Error Going Offline'. Then if I don't shut the process down and do a download, sometime later(usually about 8 or 9 hours) the program loaded on the 5/05 becomes corrupt and the process stops in a bad way. I have tried the techconnect bulletin for RSLinx that changes the CIP connection parameters, and that seems to only have made it worse, so I set it back to default. I am thinking that I will try changing the CPU next. I cannot upload the program, as it is considered proprietary by my company, but if you look at my screenshot you can see the rung I was editing when it happened most recently. The compare for greater than T104:39.ACC was what I was changing, and I changed the value from 490 to 499. I got the first 9 typed when this happened this particular time. It seems to be random and it doesn't seem to matter what part of the program I am working on either. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Raymond Kosick

noncompile resized.jpg

If you have access to Rockwell's Tech Connect, check article ID 32963.
If not In RSLinx:
Under Communications Menu -> Configure CIP Options
Then set the parameters as follows:
Max Fast Messaging Connections per PLC 1
Max Slow Messaging Connections per PLC 1
Max Unconnected Message per PLC 4

Are you the only one that goes online with this PLC, or are there others? If more than one, are you sure your all using the same software version? Runs in my mind that years ago you would see things like this if the file got saved with a newer rev and you open with a older version of rslogix.

Otherwise, I would look at rslinx and the diagnostics and see if you are getting errors or dropped packets, or etc. At least you can start eliminating network issue.

If you have access to Rockwell's Tech Connect, check article ID 32963.
If not In RSLinx:
Under Communications Menu -> Configure CIP Options
Then set the parameters as follows:
Max Fast Messaging Connections per PLC 1
Max Slow Messaging Connections per PLC 1
Max Unconnected Message per PLC 4

Mike,
That had already been configured as such, and seemed to make it worse.
Thank you for the response though!

Are you the only one that goes online with this PLC, or are there others? If more than one, are you sure your all using the same software version? Runs in my mind that years ago you would see things like this if the file got saved with a newer rev and you open with a older version of rslogix.

Otherwise, I would look at rslinx and the diagnostics and see if you are getting errors or dropped packets, or etc. At least you can start eliminating network issue.

I am not the only one, however we all remote in using a virtual machine on a development node and that is the only way to do go online with them at this time. We did have a few errors in rslinx last time I looked, but this time around there were none listed. I just had the issue come up a little over an hour ago, and did another download. I'm beginning to think the issue is rslinx related, but not super sure on where to start.
Thank you for your response!

I am not the only one, however we all remote in using a virtual machine on a development node and that is the only way to do go online with them at this time. We did have a few errors in rslinx last time I looked, but this time around there were none listed. I just had the issue come up a little over an hour ago, and did another download. I'm beginning to think the issue is rslinx related, but not super sure on where to start.
Thank you for your response!
I would tend to agree with you, maybe check the release notes of linx for the version you have or the next higher revs, but I have a feeling this is going to require a call to Tech connect. Wish I had more to offer you.

I think I am going to have to try and convince my company to pony up for a Tech Connect subscription maybe. Any ideas on how much that generally costs?

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Details never hurt - What version of RSLogix 500 and RSLinx Classic are you using?

Have you tried deleting the Harmony cache files for RSLinx Classic?

This is the RA Knowledgebase technote article outlining the necessary steps...

769010 - RSLinx Classic: Clearing cache by deleting Harmony files
Access Level: Everyone

You should be able to access that technote once you have registered for free. If you need to register then you can do so here...

Rockwell Automation - Create a New Account

Please note that the last step can sometimes be misleading...

Before you reboot your workstation computer, you would only change RSLinx Classic back to "run as a service" if it was set to "run as a service" initially.

If it was initially set to "run as an application" then that is how you should leave it before and after this process.

Also note - if you have drivers currently configured in RSLinx Classic, that you would prefer not to have to configure again, then I would follow the good advice to back them up before proceeding by using the mentioned RSLinx Classic Backup Restore Utility.

Regards,
George

George,
RSLogix 500 is version 8.40.00, and RSLinx is version 3.80.00. Unfortunately I cannot delete the Harmony files, since I don't have full admin access. I will forward this to our IT department and see if they can accomplish it. They are pretty good at helping out when I need them too. Thank you for your response!

Raymond

Can you post the program here? if yes I will try and download it to one of my L553's and see if I get the same error :confused:

Management has told me that I cannot post it anywhere, they consider it trade secrets. I can tell you that I have downloaded to another processor and made online edits using an RS232 cable with no issues, however it was never in run mode because there is no way I can replicate the amount of I/O that we have on a bench (10 I/O cards in the main rack plus 2 remote I/O scanners that are all full up as well). This also is a standalone laptop that we only use for programming our non-networked machines. The networked machines are all accessed via a windows 7 virtual machine.

Normal... how about a better picture of the rungs that will not compile, maybe there is a error that is not shown in your first pic?

The last time I it didn't compile, I was changing the 495 in the GRT to a 490. When I typed in the 490 and hit enter, it went offline and gave me the could not compile error.

Capture.jpg