need a second or third or fourth opinion

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
The 14 gauge wires don't fit in the 1/4hp 208 atv320 drives with ferrels.

Panel shop said UL strictly forbids using 16 gauge.

why?

I don't know why UL does what it does but NFPA & NEMA dictate wire by Votage and Amperge carried.

Is the restriction only on the power wires or did they say you have to use 14 gauge for the wires from the speed pot and for the run and forward commands as well?

they said UL forbids using anything under 14 gauge for 208. so the line leads and the t leads

I'm guessing here, but, it might have something with maximum short circuit current carrying capacity. I really don't know, just guessing. In the past I have seen 480VAC on 16 guage melt the insulation before the breaker tripped on a long wire run.

Last edited:
For one thing service personal coming in later see 16ga wire the presumption is that it’s control not power it could get then in trouble later.
Most systems I have worked at the engineers specify nothing smaller than 12ga for motor leads no matter the size of the motor.
One place specified extension cords used on the job had to be 12ga or larger no matter what it was used for.
A 1/4hp vfd should certainly be able to handle 12ga wire on the power terminals
I have seen vfd’s the control terminals would barely except 18ga wire 20ga is recommended on those. But the power terminals are larger and except 12ga.
As for use of ferrules you can get them for any size wire you need. I have seen then in double ferrule configuration 2 wire in the same ferrule.
My guess s that they just didn’t have the 14ga or 12ga ferrule and didn’t want to wait for the order.
I like using the ferrule’s they make a nice clean job in the end but they do add cost the project