'Communication between AB Panel View Plus 600 with micrologix 1200 controller'‏

On the "Serial DF1 Properties" window, there is a second tab labeled "Link". That's where the baud rate and error checking settings are.

Fortunately the "use autoconfiguration" checkbox on the first tab should make the PanelView correctly detect the speed and error checking. I'd still set them correctly.

The "unable to save tag database" is a difficult but common problem with FactoryTalk View Studio. My fix has always been to perform a full shutdown and reboot of the computer.

Thank you very much, I found it.for The "unable to save tag database" I follow recommend, it has been solved. I will try the config. tomorrow according to recommend.
I appreciate your help.

Hello Ken,
I checked 1761-CBL PM02 cable, the end to pc is female and panelview plus serial port is male, if must add null modem adapter so that it will work. do you know some reasons?
According to your recommend, I use Rslinx classic download .rss to micrologix.
as you said- be sure to set the error checking as CRC mode, but I checked pv+, its cheking is BCC mode and can't change, so if should still BCC.
According to your recommend, I only set serial comm. to ML1200 in runtime Tab, and didn't set Local Tab. see attach. but I don't know why offline and online fold are empty? see attach.
I create a runtime file and download but it is fail (see attach). I use AB 1747-cp3 SER A cable. when I start download, I can't see pv+. why?

I appreciate with your help!!!!

My recommendation:

Only configure the Runtime tab in RSLinx Enterprise with a driver and a Shortcut to the MicroLogix.

Do NOT configure a serial driver in the Design tab in RSLinx Enterprise.

Only use your computer's serial port with RSLinx Classic, to communicate with RSLogix 500 software and the MicroLogix 1200 controller.

see another 2 attach files

The baud rate and error checking, as I described previously and you say you found, are on the Link tab for the RSLinx Enterprise driver. When you change these in the Destination half of the RSLinx Enterprise configuration, they will be changed when this *.MER file is downloaded to the PanelView terminal.

The PanelView Plus has a serial port that is a "DCE" type port.
Your computer, and the MicroLogix 1200, both have "DTE" type ports.

These are the "male and female" of the RS-232 world. When you connect a DCE port to a DTE port, you use a "straight through" serial cable.

Because both your computer and the PLC have DTE ports, when you connect them you use a "null modem" serial cable, in which the Transmit and Receive pins are swapped.

When you have a null modem type cable (1761-CBL-PM02 and 1747-CP3), you can add a Null Modem Adapter to swap the Tx/Rx pins back, effectively making it a straight through cable again.

You cannot download to the PanelView Plus for two reasons:

1. The 1747-CP3 cable, as described above, needs to have a Null Modem adapter added to it in order to connect to a PanelView Plus terminal.

2. FactoryTalk View Studio uses the drivers configured in the Design (Local) tab to perform downloads to the PanelView terminal. You do not have a serial driver configured in the Design tab.

This is intentional: unless you have multiple serial ports on your computer it is very difficult to run both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise, and I chose to recommend that you not attempt it.

My recommendation was, and still is, to use a CompactFlash card to transfer the *.MER file from your computer to the PanelView Plus terminal.

The Offline folder in the FactoryTalk View tag browser is empty because offline tag browsing is a feature that only works with ControlLogix controllers.

The Online folder in the FactoryTalk View tab browser is empty because online tag browsing requires a connection between the controller and RSLinx Enterprise, and I intentionally have recommended not using the serial port with RSLinx Enterprise to avoid conflicts with RSLinx Classic.

Without either of these tag browser functions, you must manually enter the shortcut name and the data table address when you create a Direct Reference or HMI Tag connected to a MicroLogix address.

The devices you are using are from the bottom of the product line and have only serial ports. RA gets a better price for the MicroLogix 1100 and the model of PanelView Plus 600 with Ethernet because they are so much easier to use.

If you have more than one serial port on your PC (like if you obtain a USB/RS232 converter), I can help you configure the system so it works more smoothly and you can perform serial downloads to the PanelView as well as online tag browsing. This is tricky, but may be worth it in your case.

The baud rate and error checking, as I described previously and you say you found, are on the Link tab for the RSLinx Enterprise driver. When you change these in the Destination half of the RSLinx Enterprise configuration, they will be changed when this *.MER file is downloaded to the PanelView terminal.

The PanelView Plus has a serial port that is a "DCE" type port.
Your computer, and the MicroLogix 1200, both have "DTE" type ports.

These are the "male and female" of the RS-232 world. When you connect a DCE port to a DTE port, you use a "straight through" serial cable.

Because both your computer and the PLC have DTE ports, when you connect them you use a "null modem" serial cable, in which the Transmit and Receive pins are swapped.

When you have a null modem type cable (1761-CBL-PM02 and 1747-CP3), you can add a Null Modem Adapter to swap the Tx/Rx pins back, effectively making it a straight through cable again.

You cannot download to the PanelView Plus for two reasons:

1. The 1747-CP3 cable, as described above, needs to have a Null Modem adapter added to it in order to connect to a PanelView Plus terminal.

2. FactoryTalk View Studio uses the drivers configured in the Design (Local) tab to perform downloads to the PanelView terminal. You do not have a serial driver configured in the Design tab.

This is intentional: unless you have multiple serial ports on your computer it is very difficult to run both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise, and I chose to recommend that you not attempt it.

My recommendation was, and still is, to use a CompactFlash card to transfer the *.MER file from your computer to the PanelView Plus terminal.

I appreciate!!
your explain is very clear and make me understand much.
I appreciate again.
let me try to see.

The Offline folder in the FactoryTalk View tag browser is empty because offline tag browsing is a feature that only works with ControlLogix controllers.

The Online folder in the FactoryTalk View tab browser is empty because online tag browsing requires a connection between the controller and RSLinx Enterprise, and I intentionally have recommended not using the serial port with RSLinx Enterprise to avoid conflicts with RSLinx Classic.

Without either of these tag browser functions, you must manually enter the shortcut name and the data table address when you create a Direct Reference or HMI Tag connected to a MicroLogix address.

The devices you are using are from the bottom of the product line and have only serial ports. RA gets a better price for the MicroLogix 1100 and the model of PanelView Plus 600 with Ethernet because they are so much easier to use.

If you have more than one serial port on your PC (like if you obtain a USB/RS232 converter), I can help you configure the system so it works more smoothly and you can perform serial downloads to the PanelView as well as online tag browsing. This is tricky, but may be worth it in your case.

I only use rslinx classic to download .rss to ML1200, then stop it. I have a software which can check who is using comm. port. I see rslinx classic stop.
I have USB/RS232 converter, one is omron cs1w-cif31, one isE74020-c, but end of RS232 is male, and I have AB RS232 cable both ends are femail, if i can conect it without issure.

in runtime Tab, I add drive DF1 and device micrologix, when I use AB rs232 cable conect pc with pv+, why I can't see pv+? so I can't choose desination to dowload.

I am thank you very very much. company doesn't know these issues, only want to set up run machine.

When I use both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise, I use two separate COM ports.

COM1 is used by RSLinx Classic, and COM3, 4, or 5 (whatever my USB device has claimed) is used by RSLinx Enterprise.

I am not familiar with either of the USB/RS232 converters you named.

Both the FactoryTalk Tag Browser (that Online folder) and the FactoryTalk View Transfer Utility use the drivers that are set up in the Design (Local) tab.

If you want to try to perform Tag Browsing and do serial downloads to the PanelView, configure a driver in the Design (Local) tab.

Please read my previous posts carefully. You cannot download to the PanelView yet both because you don't have a driver configured in the Design(Local) tab, and because you need to add a null-modem adapter to the 1747-CP3 cable or use a different serial cable.

I recommend the following:

1. Get a low-profile null modem adapter for your 1761-CBL-PM02 programming cable that connects the MicroLogix to your PC. When you move the cable from your PC to the PanelView Plus, add the null modem adapter and the connection will work.

2. Use a CompactFlash card to transfer the Runtime program to the PanelView. You'll have to copy it from the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\Runtime folder on your PC, and put it in the proper [Root]:\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime folder on the CompactFlash card. Then use the File Management -> Copy Files feature on the PanelView Plus to copy the application into onboard memory.

3. In RSLinx Classic, configure the Runtime tab only. You can do this manually by right-clicking and adding the Serial DF1 driver, then right-clicking and adding the MicroLogix 1200 to the DF1 driver. Set up the driver as DF1 Full Duplex at 19200 baud, and be sure to set the error checking as CRC mode. Be sure to configure the Runtime tab driver to use COM1; this is the onboard serial port on the PanelView Plus terminal.

If you want to use both RSLinx Enterprise (to connect to your PanelView Plus) and RSLinx Classic (to connect to your MicroLogix), I very strongly recommend investing in an expansion serial port like the Keyspan/Trippline USA-19HS so you don't have to try to share the same physical serial port with two different programs.

Hello Ken,
I follow your recommend 2 by using CF card, in CF card, I create a RockwellSoftware fold, in this RockwellSoftware fold, I create RSViewME\Runtime folder , then place .mer file into Runtime fold.
then I use File Management -> Copy Files feature on the PanelView Plus to copy the application into onboard memory.
it show me a screen, on this screen, a source button(high light), a destination button(no high light). and has internal storage and external storage1 . then I select external storage1, nothing happen. can't see .mer file. and destination button is not high light. so I can't copy .mer into mermory.
do you have any idea about this. if the fold that created is not correct.
I real headach about this project.
hope your help.
thanks a lot

The Path on the CF card needs to be very specific:

[Root]:\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\

There is a space in "Rockwell Software" and no space in "RSViewME".

The Path on the CF card needs to be very specific:

[Root]:\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\

There is a space in "Rockwell Software" and no space in "RSViewME".

Hello Ken,
when I do these, it said : Error: can not open project due to version incompatibilty.
so how can I do next. how to change the Version?
My pv+ is 2711P-T6M5D ser B REV C

Thans a lot!!!

Last edited:
Hello Ken,
when I do these, it said : Error: can not open project due to version incompatibilty.
so how can I do next. how to change the Version?
My pv+ is 2711P-T6M5D ser B REV C

Thans a lot!!!

Not the series letter, nor the hardware revision letter, it's the FRN number you need.

Hopefully, it is something like 5.119 or 4.120

Once you know the FRN (firmware revision number) then you can use FTView Studio to create a runtime file for that particular major revision level. Or use controlflash to install firmware which matches your runtime file.