I need help READ from plcs Mitsubishi .FX.

ade1234

Hi everyone, I will appreciate help from anyone who can advice me on how to read from MITSUBISHI PLCs {FXON} I did have 'GX Developer' and {FXGP -WIN-E}' installed on my system and I did have the required bus adaptor with RS232 both 9 and 25 pin which matches the ports on my system.

I connected the MITSUBISHI plcs appropiately with my laptop and power up the plcs with single phase as required, the power LED on the plcs comes up to say its being powerd and some LED from the out put indicator also comes up.

First I try using the GX Developer... I select the PLCs type that matches my PLCs and I click on the tool bar {online} then I select Read from ROM but it could Read keep say can not read from ROM.
pls help.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Does your laptop have a serial port or are you using a USB to serial adapter. Many USB to serial adapters are just plain garbage and don't work well with automation equipment.

What versions of software and under what OS? Are you sure your software is supported on your OS?

Did you check the Transfer Setup options in GX Developer to ensure they were set for the right COM port?

Also, are you using a real SC09 cable from Mitsubishi or a fake aftermarket or homemade one?

Crossbow said:
Does your laptop have a serial port or are you using a USB to serial adapter. Many USB to serial adapters are just plain garbage and don't work well with automation equipment.

What versions of software and under what OS? Are you sure your software is supported on your OS?

Did you check the Transfer Setup options in GX Developer to ensure they were set for the right COM port?

Also, are you using a real SC09 cable from Mitsubishi or a fake aftermarket or homemade one?

Hi many thanks for your professional advice, My laptop did have the 25 pin serial port RS232, My SCO9 cable also have a 25 pin RS232 at one end whilst the other end fits onto my FX Mitsubishi.

Although, I equally have the USB/serial adaptor converter, I did tried both but its doesn’t look good.

The SCO9 cable am using has been tested and trusted, I even use it on one of our company's automated equipment driven by Mitsubishi just to double check its ok.

The version of my software MELSOFT APPLICATION GX DEVELOPER is the latest one, honestly it’s an authentic copy, bought buy the company I worked for and it the someone we using for our in-house applications. Can you tell me what OS means as quoted above pls!

Whilst the FX-WEN-E is also from my company both software licenced for life!

Regarding the COMS, at COM1 it say unstable COM, I tried COM2 it says the same thing, when I tried COM3 the situation changes and it began as if it will detect the PLCs after about 1 min it 'fault out' and say can not read from ROM.

Still hoping to read from you.

Kind regards.

Ade
Ade

you are not using SC09 cable correctly...

SC09 has two pieces, one is shorter and that's what you tried to use...

The other is longer and has DB9 on one end. you MUST always use that longer section because
there is some electronics in the bigger connector (DB25). this means when connecting to FX
series PLCs, you must use both parts of the cable.

Also the DB25 on your laptop is NOT serial port, that is parallel port (LPT). Do yourself a favour
and NOT use this for anything, especially if it is not printer or you are not sure what you are doing.
This is part of your laptop's motherboard and unlike serial port has no protection. If you damage it,
your laptop is toast...

to use this cable with FX series PLCs you must:
- connect the two cable sections (both have DB25 free and mate with each other).
- round plug of short section connects to PLC
- the longer piece with DB9 plugs into DB9 RS232 of your computer.

if your computer does not have DB9 connector, you will need some hardware that will provide you
with serial port. usual candidates are USB to serial converters (so far all of mine work with Mitsubishi)
or the ones on PCMCIA card but nowdays, you may also find ethernet versions (usually multiport).

OS is operating system for your PC (DOS, Linux, BeOS, QNX, Win95, Win98, WinNT, Win2000,
WinXP Home, WinXPPro, WinVista etc.)

GX Developer comes in different versions (and editions). Click on Help, About and you will see
version number such as 8.25 etc.

Last edited:
There are many USB to serial adapters that do not work well with PLCs. Belkin, IOGear, Targus are ones to avoid. Mitsubishi recommmends the Keyspan USA-19. I personally use the CP Technologies CP-US-03 and both of those have worked and been tested with all Mitsu software.

Other option from Mitsu is the FX-USB-AW cable. This has the USB plug on one end and the 8-pin round FX plug on the other. Comes with drivers, and installs as a serial port. Then in GX Developer you simply choose that serial port and you're online.

usb serial adaptor

ade,
I have used this USB to Serial DB9 adaptor from RS Components. It has worked with GX Developer and may other software packages as well.
RS Comonents Part 450-3238