Factory Talk View Studio ME Error

PLBoudette

Hi,
I'm trying to make some modifications on an HMI on a piece of equipment that a customer just purchased. I've only worked with FactoryTalk View a handful of times so I only know the basics. The HMI computer is running Windows 7 32-bit. I tried getting the runtime application into a development application by using the restore runtime application (Tools>Application Manager>Restore runtime application) for the ".mer" file from the HMI using FactoryTalk View Studio ME (Release #: 6.00.00 (CPR 9 SR 3); Patch/Pack #: 00; Build #: 16) on the HMI computer and in my version of FactoryTalk View Studio ME (Release #: 5.00.00 CPR 9; Patch/Pack #: 00; Build #: 55) and both times I receive this error message:

"This runtime application file was saved in an older format that does not support conversion to a development format."

So I guess my question is, what do I have to do to be able to edit the HMI program? Thanks in advance.

When you create a .MER file, you can select if you want someone to be able to convert it back into a developement file. Older versions of ME wouldn't allow this at all. There is a RA technote which describes how to manually edit the .MER file to get SOME of the files back, but not all. What version ME Client is on the Win7 computer. It must be 6.o0 if its running on W7. Also you could post the .MER file and see if anyone else can open it.

You are better off hunting down the .APA file, trying to recover from a .MER file isn't worth the risk. As mentioned you can "backdoor" and restore an older .MER file, but you'll lose things like Alarms, and parameters, which could break the application all together.

Agreed. If you can get the backup file (.APA) that would be the best. But at least with the new Studio ME, you can recover the complete app with just the .MER file just like the older PVs.

Thanks for all the advice. I will try to track down the .APA file tomorrow. If I'm not successful there, I'll just tell my customer to contact the original vendor. Problem solved! :)