Red Lion Vs Uticor

mutabi

Hey guys, I am faced with making a tough decision of choosing between a Red Lion G3 series HMI and a Uticor Tough Panel. I have heard great things about the Red Lion, but not much of anything about the Uticor.

The Red Lion is cheaper. However the Uticor would be able to communicate with the vast majority of our PLCs (PLC 5/SLC/CxLogix) using DH+/Ethernet. The Red Lion does not have DH+. It would be able to communicate with a lot of these PLCs using serial but there will be about 15 or so Out of 100, that do not have serial capability.

Does anyone have any general experience with Uticor? It looks like the better route, I just hate to give up on Red Lion as they are highly recommended here.

Thanks
John

Uticor Vs. RedLion

There are many advantages to the Uticor Toughpanel screens including as you said the direct connectivity to AB Ethernet I/P and DH+.

Other benefits to the Uticor Toughpanel include:

1. Exclusive White LED backlight (-20 to 60 degrees Celsius operating temperature)

2. Patented Online-Editing of the HMI (no downtime of HMI when making any changes to the screen)

3. Dual Drivers capability: Ability to talk DH+ and Ethernet I/P simultaneously. Or Modbus and Ethernet I/P, Ethernet I/P and Profinet etc...

It really depends on your application requirements.

There are many advantages to the Uticor Toughpanel screens including as you said the direct connectivity to AB Ethernet I/P and DH+.

Other benefits to the Uticor Toughpanel include:

1. Exclusive White LED backlight (-20 to 60 degrees Celsius operating temperature)

2. Patented Online-Editing of the HMI (no downtime of HMI when making any changes to the screen)

3. Dual Drivers capability: Ability to talk DH+ and Ethernet I/P simultaneously. Or Modbus and Ethernet I/P, Ethernet I/P and Profinet etc...

It really depends on your application requirements.

Nice options, but it does sound like a sales pitch.
o_O

I have used both Red Lion and Uticor in the past. Both are good products, however, I have now stuck to Uticor for their drop-in replacement models and program conversion utility for AB. They have good prices, great reliability and good tech support.

I haven't done this yet but I am planning on getting some demo hardware and trying it. Use a G3 and a DH+ to Ethernet bridge. There is at least 1 company that make this thing.
DH+ is older technology that as time goes on will fade farther and farther away.