Teaching PLC,s

G
Hello everyone.
I have been asked by my company to create a course to teach the maintenance personnel at our factory the basics of programming PLC's. They want me to build a test rig using just lights but I am arguing that it would be better for the lads to see things moving rather than a sequence of light going on and off.
Does anyone here know where pre built rigs can be bought in the UK (the cheaper the better)?
Would simulation software be a better option?
If so, which?
As I have never taught before any ideas on how to structure the course would be of great use also.
Thanks
ps. We will be using Siemens S7-200

Originally posted by an unregistered guest
They want me to build a test rig using just lights but I am arguing that it would be better for the lads to see things moving rather than a sequence of light going on and off.
I agree with you. Even a simple pick-and-place will teach them far more than a bunch of blinking lights... :nodi:

Does anyone here know where pre built rigs can be bought in the UK (the cheaper the better)?
Sorry, I can't help you with that one... :(

Would simulation software be a better option?

I don't feel it would be 'better', but worthwhile if you don't have other options.

If so, which?

The LogixPro simulator from TheLearningPit.com has good 'moving' exercises, but it's geared towards Allen Bradley PLCs.

Also, don't forget that Phil has a set of training videos available HERE (on DVD too!)... :site:

beerchug

-Eric

On your side of the pond!

I use the ICT trainer from this company and find them quite useful and although not cheap, they are backed well by the company.

You might also take a look here. I use the level/temp/flow trainers from these guys and have seen their industrial trainers. A good company to do business with.

You might also consider a text for the lads. There are several in print but I use the "Programmable Logic Controllers" by McGraw Hill authored by Frank Petruzella. The third edition of this text has just been released and can be purchased with a LogixPro software, lab book bundle. If you have not seen LogixPro, you can go to www.thelearningpit.com and download a trial version to see if you like it. I use it in my classes and the students really think it is great.

A few years ago Legos (the toy) had some automation type units, with motors and pneumatic cylinders and so on. Maybe a flea market?

If your company has training aids for hydraulics or electrical or mechanical maintenance maybe you could add some sensors and use some of their gadgets.

Ideal, it is say the capacities of achievement of the PLCs Half will know, what can be done and improved.Disnostic methods. But it limit the actions , to change of small and bad outputs and inputs elements adaptations (0/1)
Assures not by in its risk system/prodution.

Teaching PLC's

I developed a system teaching our maintenace staff about PLC's using the Learning Pit's literature, some slides from the software purchased, and with the "Constructor" lab manual.

I used parts from the spares division of the company, as the controller (not a PLC) did not want to fund any more than the $1000.00 worth of textbooks that I purchased from the Learning Pit.

We used a piece of DIN rail, a 24VDC power supply, a Micrologix 1000, misc. relays, contactors and switches and lights for a simple interactive way of making the fella's understand the BASICS first!! Have them wire up the controls, use the Controller to actuate and send signals to and from that way.

My crew of guys all came out learning the basics and more using this method, and nobody was crushed by a hydraulic ram. Keep your tools to a minimum, and expand with time and break up the lessons according to types of inputs, Ie analog, digital, using a POT and some PB's. Then have them build the program, wire accordingly and test. Makes for a great learning curve in a short time.

Best of luck,

Brainstorm!

Your best ready-made solution would be to contact a supplier like Festo, SMC, Nuematics, Allen Bradley, etc, and ask to borrow the automation display they use for Trade Shows. I bet some of these will be available and it would only be to their benefit! Some must have a PLC driven display with cylinders, reed-switches, HMIs, the works.

delivery man.gif