First time hello & PLC Timers Question

luccass

As this is my first post on this forum, let me say HELLO to everyone here!
I've been reading this forum for some time now, but I think that's time to write something as well ;)

I've been asked to familiarize with Siemens stuff (STEP7, S7-300/400, etc.) Having previous experience with AB PLCs, I just realized that I've been dumped into completely different environment and approach to PLC programming...better one? To early to tell yet.

Anyway - reading through manuals, help files, etc, I came across TIMER functions.
Could someone explain to me, how's time calculatied (e.g. timers) within PLC architecture? How accurate is it? This would apply to any known PLC - not only Siemens.

Second question is - what sort of solution do you use (Siemens), when 'long lasting timers' (hours) are needed? Is it any neat way to send/receive setpoints representing time values to/from SCADA? As far as I know, Siemens ordinary timers are not too 'big', plus use 'funny' time format.

Thanks a lot!
luccass