Combining 24V Power Supplies to get more Amps

Based on the last page of the manual it looks to me like they are designed for parallel operation. They have you tie the CN205 P+ and P- lines together, presumably so each power supply has its own picture of what the average DC output is intended to be. However, it looks like these power supplies are intended for parallel operation.

GaryS these power supplies are switching power supplies. They aren't linear power supplies. If a voltage above the intended voltage is present at the output terminals any given power supply will just stop supplying current (at least go to a minimum current level) and just let the voltage be what it wants to be...until it hits overvoltage. So the concern that one power supply could take a disproportionate amount of the load is valid. The concern that one power supply output being slightly above another will result in cooking them both is not, at least not with these supplies.

Keith

Based on the last page of the manual it looks to me like they are designed for parallel operation. They have you tie the CN205 P+ and P- lines together, presumably so each power supply has its own picture of what the average DC output is intended to be. However, it looks like these power supplies are intended for parallel operation.

GaryS these power supplies are switching power supplies. They aren't linear power supplies. If a voltage above the intended voltage is present at the output terminals any given power supply will just stop supplying current (at least go to a minimum current level) and just let the voltage be what it wants to be...until it hits overvoltage. So the concern that one power supply could take a disproportionate amount of the load is valid. The concern that one power supply output being slightly above another will result in cooking them both is not, at least not with these supplies.

Keith

Thank you for the response. This clears it up.

Keith
I didn’t relies that was you name it is a great name
I have 5 friends with the same name not including my son who we load last summer.
Sorry I just had to say that
I looked over the data sheet for the power supply they are designed to be paralleled up to 4 supplies
If you check my posts on this, I said that you need a power supply that is designed to be for it I just didn’t know of a supplier offhand.
A few interesting things I noticed
That is not a true switched power supply it looks like a hybrid supply power is rectified and filtered then using a PWM control it is converted to an ac or pulsed wave form and passed through the transformer and rectified and filtered for the output.
(Nothing wrong with that it could even be a better system without more information)
I also noticed they are current sharing ( Load Sharing similar to what is done with VFD’s )
That makes good sense because the load will regulate the voltage so the output driver does not have to regulate the voltage directly. One drawback the minimum load must be greater than 5% of the total capacity of all the connected supplies. That could be a problem if you are not careful.
I would really like to see the full circuit on those it would be interesting.
The current share is controller with P+ P- term it looks like they are both master and slave. The even refer to a master slave configuration in the data sheet. It looks like they are controlling the PWM on the output side on the supply
Definitely interesting I am looking forward to trying them on a project.
Thanks for the information

Keith
I didn’t relies that was you name it is a great name
I have 5 friends with the same name not including my son who we load last summer.
Sorry I just had to say that
I looked over the data sheet for the power supply they are designed to be paralleled up to 4 supplies
If you check my posts on this, I said that you need a power supply that is designed to be for it I just didn’t know of a supplier offhand.
A few interesting things I noticed
That is not a true switched power supply it looks like a hybrid supply power is rectified and filtered then using a PWM control it is converted to an ac or pulsed wave form and passed through the transformer and rectified and filtered for the output.
(Nothing wrong with that it could even be a better system without more information)
I also noticed they are current sharing ( Load Sharing similar to what is done with VFD’s )
That makes good sense because the load will regulate the voltage so the output driver does not have to regulate the voltage directly. One drawback the minimum load must be greater than 5% of the total capacity of all the connected supplies. That could be a problem if you are not careful.
I would really like to see the full circuit on those it would be interesting.
The current share is controller with P+ P- term it looks like they are both master and slave. The even refer to a master slave configuration in the data sheet. It looks like they are controlling the PWM on the output side on the supply
Definitely interesting I am looking forward to trying them on a project.
Thanks for the information

Wow, this is more than I could have asked for as an answer. The 5% min thing is definitely good to know. I will be careful to make sure it is there.

I wonder what happens if it's below the 5%?

Thank you.

Take a quick look at the power sharing section at the end of the manual you linked. Just above the connection diagram is a group of application notes. Specifically look at items 6, 7 and 8.

My guess is that something about the design makes it hard for the parallel set to regulate voltage in low-load conditions. So you may end up with some of the power supplies basically dropping offline intermittently depending on the voltage present due to the load. Just a guess, though.

Keith

We keep one of these in stock for legacy equipment:
MeanWell RSP-2000-24 (24VDC 80A)
This thing powers ~30 3-phase DC drives (conveyors) and all the non-PLC controls for them, 16 electric lift (small) motors -- all staged, not too much on at the same time.

Load shearing / current shearing requires some minimum current flow to work without enough current flow the voltage would tend to drift high. I would think they would have a limiter for that.
If you read the data sheet they say if the load is to low the master shut off the slave units.
I would just like to know how the master is selected my guess is the unit with the highest voltage setting is the master the slaves outputs are controlled by a PWM from the master.
You may also notice that the high voltage protection is 29-33V so you need to be sure your devices can handle it.