Allen-Bradley older hardware resiliency

JaxGTO

Would you believe this PanelView 550 was still running when I took it out today?

The plastic crumbles in your hands like pasta.

A testament to the durability of the older hardware.

IMG_6739.jpg

I've encountered SLC power supplies and modules that crumble like that when disturbed. I've even had to put them back and they chug right along...

Was that PV in a hot environment?

Sometimes you are amazed that things are still working.
Perhaps not so much the PLC's, but the other hardware. Had a couple of customers running the original computers with SCADA for ~10 years.
My favourite was one that ran the computer for 20 years(!).
I was certain that they had scrapped the system as a whole since I never heard from them, but I instead heard from them right before they were going to.
I asked them if they had changed the computer, and when they said no I almost fell out of my chair!
"We got a little scared when the computer fell of the table a couple of years ago" - Would you believe that? Ofcourse mechanical disks, and it just kept going 🤞🏻

Wow... we sell parts, you should be able to replace the light and fire it up again, pardon the pun :D

Any idea what happened? looks like it may have been the lamp

We still have half a dozen 550's chugging along circa 30 years in service. Granted, one or two are refurb units swapped out in recent years, but dang they're tough as old boots. They just need the odd backlight bulb replaced. We also have a single Dataliner still doing its thing. Few 160, 1305, 1336 Plus II drives and SMC Flex soft starters. All still little to no trouble. We still carry some spares.

JaxGTO,

That terminal will be just fine. All you need is one of these cases to put it in...

Rise_of_Vader.jpg

Regards,
George

This is another PLC that's been trucking along for the past 25 years.
I replaced the processor in this about 9 years ago because the serial port to the PV died. It's been hanging on chains for a long time because this is on an outside platform that vibrates really bad, and this was the solution they came up with.
They replaced the PV on this a lot of times. I don't have pic's of that, but I took a few apart at the shop and made a good one out of that and replaced it.

This will all be brand new in a few months.
I still like the shiny green fuses tho...

This is at a former customers facility from a company I use to work for, but I don't work for that company, but also looks like I'm it for the upgrade.

pnl1x.jpg

Last edited:
PLC5's

Worked in an automotive plant that used PLC-5/15's controlling lifters and various types of equipment. Dozens of them and only had to replace because of upgrades. Over 20 years of service and never had one fail, power supplies yes but not the controller.

This is another PLC that's been trucking along for the past 25 years.
I replaced the processor in this about 9 years ago because the serial port to the PV died. It's been hanging on chains for a long time because this is on an outside platform that vibrates really bad, and this was the solution they came up with.
They replaced the PV on this a lot of times. I don't have pic's of that, but I took a few apart at the shop and made a good one out of that and replaced it.

This will all be brand new in a few months.
I still like the shiny green fuses tho...

This is at a former customers facility from a company I use to work for, but I don't work for that company, but also looks like I'm it for the upgrade.

Still has the power supply top ventilation slots covered by the protective installation strip!! :)

Last edited: