PLC - HMI Communication Issues

Lary

I have an AB 1400 series PLC hooked up with an Automation Direct EA9 T7 CL-R HMI. The issue to me seems a bit strange, when I ping both components from the laptop everything is great. When I ping the PLC from the HMI I get a failure that looks like this the attached pic.

pic.jpg

Its hard to read your image but it looks like what failed was the "protocol". On your EA7 in the CMORE software you need to make sure the protocol is setup properly. Please advise what protocol you intend to use.

CMORE Protocol.JPG

Thank you for responding. Currently they are connected via ethernet. I attached image.

pic 1.png

Is this a new install? Or, was this previously working and now is not? Please provide as much detail on your situation as you have available.

Its a pre-existing situation. Every morning when I come in I always check the communications before I start. Yesterday morning it was working fine, by the end of the day it had stopped, and now it is continuing not to connect. I'm confused on how something like this could happen when nothing was changes at all.

Did you cycle power to the Micrologix after altering the IP configuration? I have run into this a few times where I ignored the warning and forgot.

It will sometimes work for a short period of time, sometimes it will work with RSLogix indefinitely, but weird inconsistency in communications can show up 30 minutes or a few hours after altering the IP channel settings.

There is usually a warning in RSLogix after you make such a change, and I have ignored the warning in order to do a few other things first, then get distracted by a phone call or something, forget to cycle power, and some time later, suddenly my HMI or SCADA application starts having issues.

I shut the power off to the machine every night before I leave. I've also made a habit of cycling power every time I make a change like that, that way there is no questions.

This morning I came in turned everything back on and I still have the same issue. I made sure all of the protocols were correct. I ran the ping from the HMI to the PLC and received the same failing result. Just for the fun of it I hooked up a different HMI to see if that was the issue, it was not. Got the same failure. o_O

What is the ip address of the plc? I guess I’m confused as to why you “check” communications every morning? Do your devices have static ip addresses?

I guess you can call it paranoia or OCD that makes me check comms every morning. the IP to the PLC is 90.0.0.156., HMI is 90.0.0.150. I installed wireshark but I don't know how to use it just yet.

I'm not familiar with the details of the C-More software, but would suggest checking cables if this was a machine that worked just fine for an extended period of time and then stared having issues.

If it is a problem that has been there all along, then check the details of the IP configurations of both the HMI and the PLC (gateway IP, network mask, speed and duplex).

EDIT: I was curious about the driver name in your screen shot so I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZiWMdZyKUY

Looks like the driver name is right for your hardware combo.

The port number (2) in your screen shot also stands out to me. In the video example, they leave that port number at the default 44818. It might not help, but can't hurt.

Last edited:
First thing I would suggest would be that range of IP addresses doesn't seem like something you should be using. Based on your ping response times, you probably are getting a response from within your network but I would almost guess at there being a duplicate addresss.