kinetix 350 servo drive axis not initializing

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer with a Kinetix 350 servo drive. They were having issues with the old servo motor so they replaced the servo motor with a new one. Now the Axis light, (which used to be solid green), is flashing all the time. They have tried to reinstall the old motor, but no different results.

I have never done much with the Kinetix series of hardware. Looking at the manual it appears that means that the axis is initialzing, but it shouldn't do that indefinitely?

the system has a compactlogix as the main brain. I do not have the software for this plc. It looks to me like this is a drive configuration problem and not a plc issue.

I am not onsite yet, what should we try? Is there a setup procedure for a new motor? The manuals I have read do not give a lot of details. We'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Also the display is scrolling -04- and the IP address which seems to represent that the device is okay.

The axis status indicator should be solid green normally (starting, running, stopping)and flash green when stopped. It will also flash rd/grn for a minor fault, or amber/grn for an alarm. The 04 might be an alarm code.

I don't know if the Kinetix uses different commands, but on our MO2A control logix card, there are Motion Axis commands that you can do directly from the PLC. When maintenance works on the hydraulic motor or the chain for the encoder, I often have to reset the relative or absolute positions. Small, slow steps/motion. A wild guess here, but the system probably needs re-referencing.

The "04" meaning "everything is OK" is inherited from SERCOS initialization phase numbers.

The Kinetix 350's get virtually all of their configuration from the ControlLogix, because they're CIP Motion axes. You can set up their IP address locally, but that's about it.

Robb makes a great point: disconnecting the servomotor, and even then replacing it with the old one, probably convinced the servo that there's a different motor installed and there might need to be an intialization or homing procedure done.

Is this all done by communicating to the servo through the PLC software? or is there a way to do it without the plc software or program?

Is this all done by communicating to the servo through the PLC software? or is there a way to do it without the plc software or program?

on my control logix, I use a motion direct command. Right click on the Motion Groups > Stacker Servo (specific to my device) a list of commands comes up > Select (usually) Redefine position (absolute or relative) > enter value, and movement rate. Good to know units of movement, etc ahead of time. Ours is in inches per second, so I usually use around 5, when it runs automatically it's more like 30 maximum. This is all done in Logix 5000, so what you use might be quite different for the 350.

on my control logix, I use a motion direct command. Right click on the Motion Groups > Stacker Servo (specific to my device) a list of commands comes up > Select (usually) Redefine position (absolute or relative) > enter value, and movement rate. Good to know units of movement, etc ahead of time. Ours is in inches per second, so I usually use around 5, when it runs automatically it's more like 30 maximum. This is all done in Logix 5000, so what you use might be quite different for the 350.

Thanks. The problem is that I don't have any access to the plc logic so I was wondering if there is a separate software or anything to reference this drive or if it is done only through the plc software.

I don't know anything about the Kinetix 350 module, but mine is all done through the plc. From what I read, the 350 is a standalone module, so there is probably either software for it, or a built in webpage.

It's the other way around:

The Kinetix 300 is a standalone indexing drive with built-in browser-launched Java configuration software, I think nominally called MotionView.

The Kinetix 350 is a CIP Motion drive. All of its configuration and diagnosis is done in Studio 5000.

I once spent half a day trying every possible combination of browsers before I realized I'd grabbed the wrong model of drive out of inventory.