Managed switch with SFP ports that support VDSL

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have an interesting machine project with a rotating assembly for which the builder is providing a slipring that claims to support "up to 50 Mb/s network signals". I need to run EtherNet/IP connections across that slipring to support some ordinary cyclic I/O devices from a ControlLogix.

The slipring vendor does offer products that are advertised to work with Fast Ethernet (100 Mb/s) and even Gigabit Ethernet. But those aren't the ones that are being provided. I do not think I can assume that the slipring will support a 10 Mb/s Ethernet connection.

I have done some research for "Ethernet extenders" that use DSL or a proprietary signal. They seem popular in the commercial surveillance camera industry.

We do have some footprint and budget constraints, so my thinking is to buy a managed Ethernet switch that gives me the usual tools for EtherNet/IP (IGMP snooping, port mirroring, SNMP monitoring and tools) but also has an SFP (Small Form Factor Plug) port. I will install one at the base station, another on the rotating machine, and use a pair of SFP form factor VDSL2 modems to connect them.

So I've really got two questions:

Can anyone recommend a good managed Ethernet switch with between 5 and 8 ports that has one or two SFP ports ?

Does anyone have experience using SFP form factor VDSL modems in those kinds of switches ?

I fear that I'm oversimplifying that any switch with an SFP port will support both GigE/fiber plugs and one of these modem plugs.

My backup "tell the project manager to stop being stingy" plan is the Moxa IEX-408E switches, which have VDSL2 ports built in, and otherwise tick all the boxes I need. They're not completely out of my price range but I was hoping to not be tied to a single device from a single vendor, even one as sturdy as Moxa.

I was going to suggest Moxa, they are my goto these days.
Have you called you local vendor? For project work, I can often get better than advertised pricing. And so far, I have received great tech support. Only downside is they are on the West Coast, and I have to wait for them to wake up. Not a problem for you :).

I can't answer your questions, but I can offer my experience with a mercury slip ring. I used this http://www.mercotac.com/html/eightconductor.html
to send 10/100 Ethernet along with a 20A 120v circuit to a low speed rotating assembly. The Ethernet side went to an ENI and the 120v went to power the PLC enclosure along with a 1/2 HP hydraulic pump. It worked just fine. That ENI was operating at 10 Mbps, but I think you already knew that.

You don't mention it, but if you have AC power on both side of the slipring, you could use an ethernet over power device. These have some restrictions such as cannot pass through transformers, not advised to use with GFCI/AFCI, must be on same power leg, etc. If you already have a rotating slip ring with power going across it, these could work. If you used something like shawn_75's mercotac, I think data would be fairly reliable.