Panelview 1000 Com Problems

junior

I have a Panelview 1000 (2711-T10C3) it only has a DH485 and a RS232 printer port. Apperantly the RS232 port can only be used for printing and not for downloading/uploading to the Panelview. The Panelview is connected to a 1761-NET-AIC throgh a 1761-CBL-AS03 cable. The 8-pin din port on the NET-AIC module is connected to a compact logix L31 processor to comm port 1 and this port is configured to DH485 protocol Node 1(The Panelview is Node 2 on DH485). It looks like the compact logix and the panelview are communicating with no problems.

Where my com problems arrise is, trying to connect my laptop to the 9-pin serial connector on the NET-AIC module. I'm using the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx, but I can't get it to run because my laptop doesn't have a 9-pin serial connector, so I'm going through a PCMCIA 9-pin serial card. For some reason I can't get the driver to run. I keep getting a "Failed to swap" error message. From reading on the forum, it looks like the 1747-pic driver can't be used with a USB or PCMCIA serial port. Is there workaround or another driver I can use for this connection or do I have to get a computer with a 9-pin serial port?

The second question is, what cable do I use to connect from the laptop 9-pin serial port to the 9-pin serial port on the NET-AIC module?

TIA
Jr.

The RS232 port on your PV can be used for a printer or upload/download.
If you don't have a printer connected to it then more then likely it is still configured for upload/download ( its default configuration).
You will need a straigft thru cable and a USB to serial adapter.
Use the DF1 driver on RSLinx.
You can check the configuration of the port with your offline file ( if you have one) or get to the configuration screen of your PV (can also change it there if needed)See pdf below to get to config screen.

You can also use a 1747-UIC (USB to DH485 converter)for you DH485 network.

As for your last question 9 pin serial to 9 pin NET-AIC+ use a null modem cable.

Last edited:
Mickey said:
The RS232 port on your PV can be used for a printer or upload/download.
If you don't have a printer connected to it then more then likely it is still configured for upload/download ( its default configuration).
You will need a straigft thru cable and a USB to serial adapter.
Use the DF1 driver on RSLinx.
You can check the configuration of the port with your offline file ( if you have one) or get to the configuration screen of your PV (can also change it there if needed)See pdf below to get to config screen.
QUOTE]

Unfortunatelly I don't have the offline file, I'm trying to download the file from the panelview, so I'm wondering how to change the rs232 port from the configuration menu? When I go there I only have options to change Node, Max nodes, and baud rate. When I go to the printer menu, it says that prining on port is enabled, and when I press the button, it doesn't change to disabled.

Another question I have. If I get the 1747-pic driver running on my comptuer, do I still need the 1747-net-UIC DH485 converter? Or should I be able to see the compact logix processor and the panelview in rslinx?

Jr.

junior said:
Unfortunatelly I don't have the offline file, I'm trying to download the file from the panelview, so I'm wondering how to change the rs232 port from the configuration menu? When I go there I only have options to change Node, Max nodes, and baud rate. When I go to the printer menu, it says that prining on port is enabled, and when I press the button, it doesn't change to disabled.

Another question I have. If I get the 1747-pic driver running on my comptuer, do I still need the 1747-net-UIC DH485 converter? Or should I be able to see the compact logix processor and the panelview in rslinx?

Jr.

Thats odd, you can't change the AUX port? Do you have a memory card install?

If you want to see both the PV and the CompactLogix then you will need the AIC.

Mickey said:
Thats odd, you can't change the AUX port? Do you have a memory card install?

If you want to see both the PV and the CompactLogix then you will need the AIC.

Unfortunatelly I don't have a memory card, so I'm out of luck there.

I understand that I need the AIC if I want to see both, but do I still need the UIC for the connection between the laptop and the AIC, if I get the 1747-pic driver installed in RSlinx?

Jr.

Ok, so I got it all figured out now. I got a differnt laptop with a 9-pin serial and I was able to make the PIC/AIC+ driver to work. Now I can see both the contrologix and panelview from the one connection. The null modem cable is all that is needed to connect the laptop to the AIC+ module.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to create the tag addressed in panelbuilder32 to match them in the controllogix processor. For some reason, panelbuilder will not validate the application if you enter a tag in the manner "Local:2:O.Data.2". It will only validate and upload the application if it's entered in the RSLogix format "B3:1/1". Not sure how the correct this. The panelview firmware is 4.10.

Jr.