Logix 5000 FSC Instruction

bbishop108

I have been using the FSC instruction in a couple of application successfully. I am now trying to use it in a new application, and I feel that I am missing something.

The basic concept is that I am searching thru a DINT Array of tags and comparing it against a blank DINT Array looking for the first instance where both arrays have a value of zero. This portion of the FSC is working correctly as it stops at the first instance and I see on the FSC Instruction what position it stopped at when the search was equal.

Now here is where I am looking for some help with the FSC Instruction. So with my DINT[32], after execution of the FSC the Position listed is 4. So I know that in my DINT[32], I will call it Tag[32], and at Position Tag[4] is where my FSC stopped searching. Is there any way to capture the tag associated with the Position.....i.e Tag[4]???

I am not interested in the value at the Position, which in this case would be four. I am more interested in the Tag that corresponds to the Position of the FSC Instruction....which again in this example would be Tag[4]. Thanks

I might be missing something as well, but can't you just size the control data object to be the same size as the array you're searching, and then just capture the .POS value of the control object in the FSC?

Edit: never mind, that's exactly what you said you weren't interested in :ROFLMAO:

Would an indirect address do the trick? Tag[Control.POS]?

I guess I'm not 100% clear on your goal here.

Last edited:
LoganB, Well after I did some more testing and then I saw your edit to your post, this is pretty much what I may have to do. Using the Tag[Control.POS] will have the location after each execution of the FSC. What I am trying to accomplish is being able to send a robot to this open position after each execution of the FSC instruction, but I'm not sure if I can use the Tag[Control.POS] as a location that the robot can use. Thanks

You'll probably have to have a lookup table (array) that has the robot locations pre-programmed in, then use the Tag[Control.POS] as your indexer to know which location to send to the robot.

IF Tag[Control.POS] = 1 THEN MOV RobotPOS[1] to robot
IF Tag[Control.POS] = 2 THEN MOV RobotPOS[2] to robot
IF Tag[Control.POS] = 3 THEN MOV RobotPOS[3] to robot

etc

Last edited:
Ok so I'm feeling a bit on the DA side of what I was trying to accomplish! I clearly made this out to be far more difficult than it needed to be that's for sure. As I previously posted that I wanted to get the actual value from Tag[Control.POS], the light bulb finally went off! I was going about this all wrong trying to get the position data from the Tag[Control.POS], this is NOT where the position data is stored!!! The data I was looking for is actually in the Control tag!!! So when I went to my Control tag and expanded it, low and behold was the POS data. The actual value I wanted was in the tag Control.POS.....NOT Tag[Control.POS].

I apologize for any and all confusion with what I wanted, as this greatly frustrated me to no end! I was even told that it was in the control tag, but it wasn't clicking that it was the tag for the Control of the FSC Instruction. I named the tag for my control.....Control. Thanks for everyone's input on this issue!!!