1734 AENTR Addressing

jimlongusa

We have added a 1734 AENTR point I/O EIP Adapter with a 1734-IB4 8 Input Module. IO adapter is labeled "Lift". What should the addressing format look like?

Would my first address be Lift_In:I.Data[0].0?

Add it to your tree offline and it will generate the tag format for you, but basically the tag format is exactly the same as the local format, except what you name the adapter is used instead of the word "Local". For example, I have a remote rack i named "RIO_AUX" and it has a 16 bit input card installed in slot 2. Input 0 of that card would be addressed:

RIO_AUX:2:I.Data.0

Edit:
My example was for a 1769-AENTR. For your 1734, if your 8bit card was installed in slot one, the address of input0 would be "Lift:1:I.0"

Last edited:
Helliana said:
... For your 1734, if your 8bit card was installed in slot one, the address of input0 would be "Lift:1:I.0"

Not quite Helliana. These Point I/O configurations can be tricky.

jimlongusa said:
We have added a 1734 AENTR point I/O EIP Adapter with a 1734-IB4 8 Input Module. IO adapter is labeled "Lift". What should the addressing format look like?

Would my first address be Lift_In:I.Data[0].0?

Careful...

1734-IB2 = 2 Input Module
1734-IB4 = 4 Input Module
1734-IB8 = 8 Input Module

So you either have a 1734-IB4 Input Module and it's actually 4 Inputs you have or you actually have 8 Inputs and it's a 1734-IB8 Input Module you have?

Either way...

You also have to be careful with the module-defined tag structures when defining 1734 Distributed Point I/O. Depending on the "Chassis Size" configured for the 1734-AENTR adapter, the module-defined data types for the adapter will vary. For my working example, I have a 3 Slot Distributed I/O configuration which includes the adapter (0), a 1734-IB8 (1) and a 1734-OB8 (2). So the adapter's Module Definition is set to Chassis Size: 3. This automatically creates the specific module-defined data types:

AB:1734_3SLOT:I:0
AB:1734_3SLOT:O:0

Both these module-defined data types contain two single DINT members for "SlotStatusBits0_31" and "SlotStatusBits32_63" respectively. But we'll not worry too much about those here. There are also certain Configuration data types created but likewise, I'll not mention those in detail here. The above two module-defined data types also contain a SINT[3] array member called "Data". This is what we want to focus on.

Because the Chassis Size is set to "3", both the Input and the Output module-defined data types are given a "Data" SINT[3] member. When we now look at the module-defined tags for the actual I/O under Controller Tags, we should see, and to use your example:

Lift:I (Data Type - AB:1734_3SLOT:I:0)
Lift:O (Data Type - AB:1734_3SLOT:O:0)

Again, you may see other Configuration (C) tags there but ignore them for now.

If we expand Lift:I we should then see:

Lift:I
[+]Lift:.SlotStatusBits0_31 (Data Type - DINT) < just showing for clarity
[+]Lift:.SlotStatusBits32_63 (Data Type - DINT) < just showing for clarity
[+]Lift:I.Data (Data Type - SINT[3]) < this is what we want

If we expand Lift:I.Data we should see...

Lift:I.Data
[+]Lift:I.Data[0] (Data Type - SINT)
[+]Lift:I.Data[1] (Data Type - SINT)
[+]Lift:I.Data[2] (Data Type - SINT)

These are the three SINT[3] members added to the module-defined data type for Input data for the 3 Slot Chassis.

Now for the important part...

Because the adapter is in the Slot 0 address, any Input data the adapter itself may have will be mapped to the Lift:I.Data[0] SINT.

Because the Input Module is in the Slot 1 address, any Input data which it may have will be mapped to the Lift:I.Data[1] SINT.

And because the Output Module is in the Slot 2 address, any Input data which it may have will be mapped to the Lift:I.Data[2] SINT.

Therefore, whichever Slot an I/O module is located in; its Input data will be be mapped to the corresponding SINT member within the specific Chassis Size module-defined data type.
The same can be said for the Output data.

It's not always immediately obvious to some where your actual I/O data is within the Controller Tags. So knowing the above will help to narrow this down for a newly created configuration. Once found, you can of course name the I/O SINT member something meaningful, such as "Actual Module Input Tags" or whatever suits.

Quick working example (I've not expanded the SINT members to show the individual I/O points)...

Point_IO_Tag_Module_Data_Structure.jpg

Regards,
George

Last edited:
You are correct. It is an IB8 and you are correct in your answer. We were struggling with the addressing and it seemed complicated at best. Thanks a million for your reply. Really clears up the confusion.

Jim