DeviceNet and A.B. 1336 Plus II VFD

JohnnyQuanex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi folks,

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

I'm the lucky heir (as process engineer) to a dated process that include 13 very old lines that use SLC 5/3, 4, 5 processors, and DNet for the device network. I am slowly, but surely making control system upgrades, but I will need to deal with this equipment for quite some time.

I have worked with dnet quite a bit since taking this position several years ago and am at a 85% confidence level in using it and modifying it. I've upgraded some drives and successfully mapped I/O, parameters, etc into SLC 500 data tables. So, I'm not asking as an amateur, but rather I do have some experience working with this stuff...

I'm dealing with a headache today (actually for a few days, but haven't focused much on it) involving a faulted AB 1336 Plus II drive and devicenet. At first I thought it was simply a bad drive because my dnet seemed to be functioning fine. However, a replacement drive did not solve the problem. If I unplug the network adapter card from the 1336 Plus II drive, and cycle power, the fault light goes off. Then, if I plug the card in, the fault returns.

I'm not really familiar with the 1336 drives and I don't really even know how to find out what the fault code is. I tried looking at the parameters via RSNetworks for Dnet, but I'm not sure what parameter, if any, provides that data for me. I also don't and can't find any literature for the drive.

Having said that, I not convinced I need to chase that rabbit because now I'm getting an error code on my 1747 SDN scanner module. The code references the node I'm having this trouble with, which is 15, and the error code is 77. According to my sdn manual, this means "Data size expected by the device does not match scanlist entry." When I switching drives out, I allowed dnet software to correct key mismatches and such in an attempt to clear some device mismatch error codes I was getting. I had tried an entirely different drive with more I/O to map, just to make sure my drive wasn't the issue (tried two different drives, because our spare drives are "supposedly good" used drives. Wanted to rule out a bad spare drive.)

Anyway, I can upload my entire machine's dnet network and generate a report; I can compare that with a report for last year, when all was good. the mapping is the same and so I'm just throwing out a call for help. Maybe somebody can help steer me and give me something to try at the very least.

Thanks,

John

The line is not scheduled to run right now so I am able to take my time on this problem.

Check Datalinks

Johnny,
Check that the correct number of datalinks are enabled for the inputs and outputs. I belive you can have up to 5 16 bit datalinks each way, and each datalink changes the data table size.

Johnny,
Check that the correct number of datalinks are enabled for the inputs and outputs. I belive you can have up to 5 16 bit datalinks each way, and each datalink changes the data table size.

Thanks, I figured the 77 error out yesterday. I had to change the I/O parameter Input Size from 4 to 8 for the drive; the drive we installed during our initial troubleshooting steps had a different input size. So, yeah, basically what you said here.

I'm still getting a drive fault though when I plug the dnet module and cable into this drive. I am now trying to figure out how to determine the what drive parameter indicates the fault code so I can try to figure out what is causing the drive to fault. I'm using RSNetworx for Dnet to look at the parameters for the drive.

I did find (I think) a proper manual finally, so if I can identify the fault code parameter then at least I've got some data to use toward troubleshooting.

Thanks so much!

John

It's amazing how much we forget over the years. My expertise with networking the 1336 Plus was the main reason I got my job in 1998 but I had to open up the manual to remember how the fault codes are presented.

Chapter 7 of the 1336 Plus II user manual describes reading the faults and troubleshooting. The LCD display will always display a fault when one occurs; for a communications-related fault it should show "Serial Fault 10".

DeviceNet and DataLinks can get confusing, but your sword and shield are a pencil and graph paper.

You've probably got a 1336-GK5 or 1203-GK6, one of the external white boxes that connects to the SCANPort plug on the bottom of the drive's front panel.

The DataLink and Master-Slave I/O Connection parameters are stored in the DeviceNet interface option module itself, not in the drive. When you're accessing the interface parameters via a keypad, they are typically appended to the end of the list of drive parameters. In later generations of products, you actually used the keypad menu to log onto the option module, but I think on the 1336+ and 1336+II the parameters were just added to the end of the Drive parameter list.

The default I/O size is 2 Words Input (4 bytes) and 2 Words Output (4 bytes). These are the normal Status/Feedback Input and Command/Reference Output that work like any good old 1336 Plus family drive.

There are four "Data Links" named A,B,C,D and each one can be enabled on the Input or Output side. Each one has two parameter data pointers, so you can enable "Data Link A" and exchange two more parameters with the drive.

On the "Enhanced" DeviceNet interfaces (the 1203-GK6), you could also do peer-to-peer comms, so the DataLinks weren't always part of the Master-Slave I/O connection to the PLC. On those devices, you need to Enable the DataLinks to be part of the M-S I/O connection.

So that we don't bury you with a torrent of archaic information, let's stop there and ask:

1. What's the part number of the DeviceNet option module ?
2. What fault code are you getting on the drive when you plug in the DeviceNet module ?

Last edited:
Yeah, I was reading this one earlier Ken and had found the following technote article relating to the specific "Serial Fault F10", but I got called away and hadn't time to post it up...

56189 - 1336S Plus, 1336F Plus II, 1305 : The possible cause of F10 Serial Fault on DeviceNet
Access Level: Everyone

There is also mention of the earlier F77 I/O Mismatch error which has since been resolved but will also throw an F10 fault.

I was of the thinking that the DeviceNet card or module may be faulty here and swapping it with a known good adapter might quickly tell a tale. But yes, a fault message should be very apparent here on the display.

I kind of wondered why they would not have posted it up if they were seeing one?

Regards,
George

Ah, the joys of the 1336 Plus drives on Devicenet to a PLC5

we still have them here and it is one that rolls along quite happily with few failures (fingers crossed).

If they do go wrong, then I will be digging into the manual ( we do have a paper copy, if I remember correctly..)

It's amazing how much we forget over the years. My expertise with networking the 1336 Plus was the main reason I got my job in 1998 but I had to open up the manual to remember how the fault codes are presented.

Chapter 7 of the 1336 Plus II user manual describes reading the faults and troubleshooting. The LCD display will always display a fault when one occurs; for a communications-related fault it should show "Serial Fault 10".

DeviceNet and DataLinks can get confusing, but your sword and shield are a pencil and graph paper.

You've probably got a 1336-GK5 or 1203-GK6, one of the external white boxes that connects to the SCANPort plug on the bottom of the drive's front panel.

The DataLink and Master-Slave I/O Connection parameters are stored in the DeviceNet interface option module itself, not in the drive. When you're accessing the interface parameters via a keypad, they are typically appended to the end of the list of drive parameters. In later generations of products, you actually used the keypad menu to log onto the option module, but I think on the 1336+ and 1336+II the parameters were just added to the end of the Drive parameter list.

The default I/O size is 2 Words Input (4 bytes) and 2 Words Output (4 bytes). These are the normal Status/Feedback Input and Command/Reference Output that work like any good old 1336 Plus family drive.

There are four "Data Links" named A,B,C,D and each one can be enabled on the Input or Output side. Each one has two parameter data pointers, so you can enable "Data Link A" and exchange two more parameters with the drive.

On the "Enhanced" DeviceNet interfaces (the 1203-GK6), you could also do peer-to-peer comms, so the DataLinks weren't always part of the Master-Slave I/O connection to the PLC. On those devices, you need to Enable the DataLinks to be part of the M-S I/O connection.

So that we don't bury you with a torrent of archaic information, let's stop there and ask:

1. What's the part number of the DeviceNet option module ?
2. What fault code are you getting on the drive when you plug in the DeviceNet module ?

1336-GM6 (Options Module)

(Fault Code) The only thing I'm seeing the parameter list (via RSNetworx) is 10, and 65...

I've tried three different comm. modules with no change...

I found that the drive is able to run, even with the fault. I'm not sure what to make of it, but there is no way to tell about the comm. modules I was trying. They might have all been bad I suppose. (They were laying around in our maintenance area...)

Thanks,

John