Using Compactlogix 1769-L36ERM for the first time - Assign IP address

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I am doing a project where I need to use a 1769-L36ERM. I am developing offline as I am waiting for my hardware to arrive. I have a few questions:

1. I am reading this Quick start guide and I see in chapter 2 pg. 44 that I need to Flash the CPU with a firmware. I would believe that the CPU would have the firmware preloaded. I would prefer to avoid flashing the CPU.

2. I have RSLogix V20.01.00 to work with. Is this ok? I can find my CPU in the hardware catalog so I believe it is ok.

3. How do I assign the IP address of the CPU? Cant I do it offline? I read in the manual that I need to be online (via USB I believe) so that I can change the configuration. Is that right?

1. The processor will come to you without the firmware in the unit. You will have to flash the processor to v20 if you want to use v20 RsLogix 5000. No way around it.
2. That will work fine. With the new L3 Processors you can go all the way up to what ever is the brand new rev. I think it is v26.
3. You can assign the IP using BootP or RsLinx. You can also download it with the project over USB too.

Hope that helps. I like the CompactLogix line of processors. They work very good for what I do.

1) You will need to flash the firmware. The PLC comes to you with no OS, so you'll flash it with the firmware version that you want to use.

2) The Rockwell site says you can use any firmware version 20.011 and up. 20.011 and 20.012 have some known bugs, but it looks like at 20.013 there are no more "important notices" about function.

3) You can set the IP by using RSLinx and going through the "Module Configuration" dialog, or you can use BOOTP/DHCP and set it there.

Quick question about giving the plc a ip address. I have also ordered a compact logix plc and after reading this not sure about setting the ip address.
with the micrologix 1400 plc the first time i take it out of the box i use rslinx and connect to the 1400 using a serial cable and assign the ip address. Would this also be the way you would do a compact logix plc?
Thanks

When you get the PLC built,

1) Flash the firmware.
2) Go online via USB in RS5K.
3a) Right-click Controller "name here" (root of the controller organizer tree), click Properties.
3b) Select the 'Internet Protocol' tab -> Manually configure -> Fill in the necessaries.
4) ???
5) Profit.

Now you can go online over IP.

You would use a USB cable and (I am going off memory as I am in a airport and done have a processor to try it) when you go to the Processor in RSLinx, Right Click and select Module Configuration and you can set the IP there.

Edit: Jeremy types faster than me.

my mistake in the last post, what i meant to say was when i get the new compact logix plc in would i not go online using the usb not the serial connection and set the ip address and then save the changes.
This would then allow me to connect using a ethernet connector.
That is how i do the micrologix except i use the serial connection.
Is this how most of you do it?

Thanks for the replys.
Do you not have to go online using the usb connection and rslinx and then flash the firmware.

You can flash the firmware via USB or Ethernet. I like USB as it is a little more "robust". By that I mean there is less of a chance that the flash will get interrupted using USB vs Ethernet.

Please understand that if your firmware flash gets interrupted or fails there is a chance you can make the processor useless. We call that "Bricking it". I guess the newer processors are more easily recoverable in that case but I have managed to screw up a couple early on in my Compact Logix career. Just be careful when you flash.

That is why I did not like the idea of having to flash the processor. What should someone watch out to avoid bricking the CPU? And what is the recovery procedure?

Thanks
Looks like usb would be the best way. You would think that AB would not build a plc that required you to flash the firmware. Just something i guess i will have to get use to. Have used the micrologix series and Omron for a lot of years and never have to flash a firmware or worry about bricking a plc.
Just seems like as long as you had the software the plc should be able to be programmed.

Its not that big of a deal. You just have be careful when you do it.
Here are some things to avoid:
1. Don't use the computer to surf the web or do other things when you are flashing.
2. Make sure your screen saver or sleep mode doesn't come on when you are flashing.
3. Make sure the cable doesn't come unplugged from the computer or processor while flashing.

If you do happen to "Brick" one you can turn off the power and there is a little hole near the mode switch. If you put a paper clip or small screw driver in there and push the button while turning the power back on it should reset the processor back to the original state. That has worked for me most of the time but had a bad power supply one time that caused the unit to not come back.

I believe the requirment to flash the CPU is because there are 1000 different versions of RSlogix5000. I cant understand why they made it so complicated.

you can flash the firmware via usb or ethernet. I like usb as it is a little more "robust". By that i mean there is less of a chance that the flash will get interrupted using usb vs ethernet.

Please understand that if your firmware flash gets interrupted or fails there is a chance you can make the processor useless. We call that "bricking it". I guess the newer processors are more easily recoverable in that case but i have managed to screw up a couple early on in my compact logix career. Just be careful when you flash.

+1

I believe the requirment to flash the CPU is because there are 1000 different versions of RSlogix5000. I cant understand why they made it so complicated.

Its not complicated once you've been through it once or twice and have worked with different RSLogix versions. Use the USB if you can; for that processor you are using, USB "feels" faster than Ethernet. If you are physically close to the processor during machine debug, you can continue to use the USB connection for your uploading, downloading, and online editing.