DIN Rail positioning

godfrey

I've observed in the posts with panel pictures that DIN Rails are mounted horizontally as well as vertically. Personnaly I like them run vertically. What criteria do you use when laying DIN Rail?

I suppose the answer to that would be dictacted by what your placing on the DIN rail. Usually only terminals are mounted on vertical DIN rails.

One has to be very careful running DIN rail vertically. It is fine for terminals but PLCs, contactors, relays etc should be run horizontally to allow heat to get away and not cause a heat induced "big bang".

Most components specify acceptable mounting orientations in the installation manual.

I've seen stuff mounted in some strange ways, which is proof that many don't bother to RTFM... :rolleyes:

We rebuilt a little automotive door handle clip assembly machine about a year ago. It installed these little buggers to door handles:

[attachment]

Anyway, it had a ML1000 mounted with the back facing down inside an 8" x 8" pull box which is just SLIGHTLY larger than the PLC itself (in fact, the cover mounting flange was cut out to jam the PLC in there). There were a few of those cheap 1/4 x 1-1/4 fuse blocks (uninsulated) attached inside with double-sided tape (which didn't hold). All I/O was 120VAC, with tiny wire, and lots of electrical tape. The scariest part was that all the knockouts were removed (so it was easier to wire, you know!). This allowed the pull box to get FILLED with hundreds of those M-E-T-A-L retaining clips... :eek:

Wish I had taken a picture... :(

beerchug

-Eric

clip.gif

I suppose having the din rail terminals vertical on one or both sides of the sub pan would like okay, and probably be convenient in some applications. But I see no reason if there is enough room, not to make them horizontal.

Several years ago a comsumer product manufacturer had me come in to engineer some new control systems for their existing machinery. Their top electrician took me aside and told me that they had fought for years with the controls guy that had been doing it to get a control panel that was not cramped.

The controls guy would try to see how small he could make the package. So, I started giving them lots of extra room, and their company standards now require at least 25% extra space in any panel.

Panel Design 101 - Let's see, first we get a 8 x 12 sloped operator consolette, then add a plc.... oh wait, that panel is posted on the control panel pictures thread, listed below.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?postid=55565#post55565

I'm doing good to get the link here, as opposed to click "here".

Eric: I DO like that slope panel project!

regards to all.....casey

Casey,

Eric has some very nice looking, and well laid out panels. However there is one minor flaw that I'm sure will never be a problem, and Eric probably knows about but couldn’t avoid it. Take close look and you may figure it out. I wont tell what it is because I've committed the same sin..

Signed, Anonymous.....

Edit, Oops, I forgot that I was logged in...

The "50lbs. of **** in a 10lb. bag" is a MAJOR flaw, so that can't be it... :unsure:

OK, I'll take the bait, Mike (er..."Mr. Anonymous"). So, what is it?... :D

beerchug

-Eric

Yeah, I know, but I felt it would get awfully lonely being that far away from other stuff... :D

If that's you're only 'complaint', then I guess I'm not doing too bad... :cool:

beerchug

-Eric

elevmike said:
As long as the field installer is left handed

I wish I HAD one of those 'field installers' you speak about. Either handed would be fine. I'm stuck wearing ALL the hats... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric