1756-DHRIO Communication

Oakley,

The message initiated at Control logix to get DINT data from PLC5. That why the path like this:1,2, 2, 142.40.36.48, 1, 3, 3, 41
Should I use CIP or DHRIO in communication tab?

Thank You

Wow,

Have you been on vacation MUNZII?

This thread went dead for 8 months. Then out of the blue active like it was started yesterday.

RSL

It looks like Munzii resurrected an old thread and added his new question. This is generally not considered good form unless your question is identical to the old question.

Nonetheless, we're here. It's time to RTFM.

The RSLogix 5000 Help file has a good description of the CIP/DH+/CIP with Source ID options for Communication Method. To communicate through a 1756-DHRIO to a PLC-5 on DH+, you want the DH+ Communication Method.

When you are using the DH+ communication method, the CIP Path doesn't go all the way to the PLC-5 node on the DH+ network. Instead, the path only goes as far as the 1756-DHRIO slot. In your case, delete the last "3, 41".

The selections you make under "Communication Method" define the DHRIO and DH+ portions of the message function.

You will select Channel B, as you described previously.
You will enter 41 as the Destination Node. It is crucial that you enter this value in Octal notation.

Because you are going directly from the DHRIO to a DH+ node, you are running a Local DH+ message, as far as the DHRIO is concerned. Enter zeroes for the Source Link and the Destination Link.

After searching the internet about this problem I came across your post, which has been most helpful, so have signed up to the forum.

I got called out late on Saturday night to two ControlLogix5555 PLC's, both of which turned out to have no programs in them "There is no project loaded in the controller".

I downloaded the programs back and all was well, except I wasted time trying to get rid of the fault on the 1756-DHRIO card that was in the IO configuration. Once I figured out that the DH+ communication was actually working I ignored the reported fault!

All is well now although I have yet to try and figure out why two ControlLogix555 PLC's, in the same switch room, would loose their programs - I imagine some kind of power supply issue?

Many thanks.

Peter

You should NOT have that 1756-DHRIO module in your IO configuration. Remove it. The error will go away. This is a common mistake. The only time it should be in the IO configuration is when at least 1 channel is being used for RIO. Just DH+ then remove it.

It does not need to be in the IO configuration. Many people put it there because they do not know how to write the path in the message configuration without it.

You can leave the module in your IO configuration and it will work. It just makes the IO led blink and indicate an error. This is NOT the right way to do it, but I have seen several systems installed by "pros" that are commissioned this way.

RSL

Welcome to the Forum, Peter.

I'm going to be a stickler for Forum etiquette in this case because this very thread includes an admonition (from me !) about re-opening old threads.

The preferred method to open a "related question" thread is to create a new thread and cite the original by link: just copy-and-paste the original thread link and explain why you're linking to it and why it's related.

http://plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=27393

Go ahead and create a new thread, explain the core issue (erased programs in L55 controllers), cite the related issue thread (nuisance faults for DHRIO's with DH+ channels in the I/O tree) and you'll have the best chance at getting good advice from the forum community.

Hye all, i have problem using 1756-DHRIO/E firmware rev.7 to communicate with 2711p-RN6 PVP1000...Have error 16#01312 in the CLX. Im using 1756-L71 controller. Can someone advice on how to solve this.Thanks in advance.

Welcome back to the Forum, Zaid.

It is best to open a new thread about your specific application, rather than re-starting a thread that is many years old and only slightly related to your problem.

Start by going back to the main PLCTalk Q&A Forum page: [Link]

Then click on the "Start a new thread" button, which looks like this:
newthread.gif

In general the 2711P-RN6 is very tricky to use, even for an expert. Please provide as much information as you can in your new thread about the history of the application and the settings you are using in FactoryTalk View and in the ControlLogix application.