Help with Panelview CompactLogix Please

Can anyone point me to an example of a CompactLogix - Panelview program. This is my first attempt programming Panelview and/or CompactLogix. This whole "Tag Name" concept is new to me and I'm getting hit with a double whammy.

I was able to copy the sample program in the Panelview QuickStart manual using my Panelview 900 (2711 T9A5) and a SLC 5/04. I just typed exactly what I read; can't say I learned much.

I can't find a similar tutorial for the Panelview and the CompactLogix. I would be happy with a simple basic example. Something like 0ne button on the Panelview. Press the button and see a bit change in the CompactLogix. When a bit changes in CompactLogix see a change on the Panelview.

As I mentioned earlier I have a 2711-T9A5 (RS232-DH485) and a CompactLogix 5330. I'm using RSLogix 5000 v.11, although I have access to different versions.

Has anyone used a Panelview and Compactlogix together? Have you seen an example of the two in a manual? Can it even be done?

Thank you for any help you can offer;

Frank

More help Please.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/uploads/4.jpg[/img
[img]http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/uploads/5.jpg[/img

I'm still trying to connect a panelview 900 to a compactlogix 5330. Can it even be done? Does it matter which firmware the panelview is running? I have FRM 3.30.

The Panelbuilder32 Quickstart Guide does not show an example of Tag Addressing for Compactlogix. It gives a slew of other examples but not Compactlogix.

If I successfully uploaded two images, you should be able to see what my problem is. When I try to verify the panelbuilder project, I get an error about the tag address being wrong. The Tag address is PV_PB_0. If I use tag address "b3:0/0", the project verifies okay.

You can see (hopefully) that I have selected Compactlogix as the PLC on node 1.

I've been following links that others have suggested but none of those links show an actual PV/Compactlogix situation.

Any help would be appreciated. An example of a ACD/PBA file would be ideal.

Frank

If you installed the demos files during the Panelbuilder installation process, you should have quite a few demo files in the directory, C:\Program Files\Allen-Bradley\PanelBuilder32\Demos.

Frank, all your hardware and software is several years old, so you're going to have to deal with the fact that it doesn't have all the current features of both products.

YES, it can be done.

The PanelView terminal uses DH485 protocol over RS-232, so the CompactLogix 1769-L30 controller, which has two RS-232 serial ports, will need to have one of those ports configured for DH485 protocol.

The PanelView Standard 3.x firmware does not, to my recollection, support Logix tagnames of any kind, so you are going to have to address the CompactLogix as though it was an SLC-500 controller. This is confirmed by the fact that your copy of PanelBuilder won't verify a project with a Logix tag as an address.

Set the CompactLogix Channel 0 or Channel 1 serial port for DH485 protocol as Node 1, then set up the PanelView to have a SLC-500 type controller in it's node table as Node 1.

You're going to have to map PLC/SLC style addresses to Logix arrays. In RSLogix 5000, select Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Addresses and set up the most common data files (3 for bits, 7 for integers) to be equivalent to Logix INT array tags.

Still no Compactlogix

Thank you for your reply. I do not want to appear ungrateful, but I do not see an example of Compactlogix there. Under the demo\controllogix folder I see four programs, PV_CNET,PV_DNET,PV_ENET,and PV_RIO.

I've been trying for several days, searching and begging, but have not seen an example of a panelview - compactlogix program.

I think I've got the Tag Addressing wrong. I've read tips about creating arrays and other strange concepts but I need to see an example for it to make sense.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me. If I missed the proper example under the Demo folder (there are 50 - 100 PBA files to look through) please point me to it.

Frank

Thank you Ken. I'll need a day or so to digest what you have revealed. Just knowing it can be done is good.

I buy my hardware off Ebay, and I do tend to end up with old stuff. My objective is learning, and often the harder it is to learn, the better you remember it.

I guess that array business is my next nightmare.

Thank you again for all your help, not just on this question either. I doubt you guys realize how many people you help. It isn't only the guy who asks the question.

Frank

If you were connecting this PanelView to an SLC-5/03, you would probably be familiar with the addressing conventions:

B3:0/0 style for bits, N7:1 for integer words, F8:10 for floating-point values.

The Logix can emulate an SLC using arrays and that "Map PLC/SLC Data Tables" feature.

If you define data file 7 = PV_Ints, where PV_Ints is an array of INT data types (defined, for example, as PV_Ints[100]).

Then when the PanelView requests "N7:10" from the CompactLogix, the CompactLogix replies with the value of the tag PV_Ints[10].

I had a little time during a "Death by PowerPoint" session here at Automation University to put together a 1-screen PanelView application and a simple CompactLogix application. I haven't tested them, so it's possible I overlooked something, but they should illustrate for you the use of SLC-style addressing on DH485.

I need to retract a detail; I found that PanelBuilder32 does allow you to select CompactLogix/ControlLogix terminal types even when you've chosen 3.30 firmware, so that version of PV900 firmware must support Logix tagnames. I'd have to do more research than I have time for right now to put together a history of that support in firmware and in PanelBuilder32, and the various feature sets and limitations in each version.

Here are the files, zipped up:

It Worked!

When I was a kid my uncle gave me a model motor. You wound some wire, hooked it up to a drycell and it was suppose to spin. I put it together just like it looked on the box; you know a bunch of wire wrapped on the pieces. I never read the instructions.

It didn't spin and I was quick to tell my uncle the model wasn't any good. He bought another and walked me through it. He made sure I made X amount of turns in the proper clockwise or counter clockwise direction. When we connected it to the battery and it spun I was awe struck. I guess I've spent a big part of my life trying to figure out how.

Well Ken, thats how I feel now. Your programs worked and I was thrilled to see it happen. Now I've got to figure out how.

Frank

When I was a kid my uncle gave me a model motor. You wound some wire, hooked it up to a drycell and it was suppose to spin. I put it together just like it looked on the box; you know a bunch of wire wrapped on the pieces. I never read the instructions.

It didn't spin and I was quick to tell my uncle the model wasn't any good. He bought another and walked me through it. He made sure I made X amount of turns in the proper clockwise or counter clockwise direction. When we connected it to the battery and it spun I was awe struck. I guess I've spent a big part of my life trying to figure out how.

Well Ken, thats how I feel now. Your programs worked and I was thrilled to see it happen. Now I've got to figure out how.

Frank

That was a delightful story. Hahah. I am in the same boat as you with the PLC stuff right now. Never tried to make a motor run though. ;)