How to commission remotely in 2021? (Siemens Plc, Lsis inverter)

Prince

It has been long that I am working in PLCs' field. I have a 2021 question now. How do you commission a line remotely? Firstly I said no way but They told me that we have to. The city that we are working in is not on a complete lockdown but the room in the Motel is not safe to live in. The company is asking me to prepare a list of needed equipment (cameras, PCs, software, etc) to do the commissioning remotely.

Did any of you have any experience in remote commissioning of Midsize machines? Do you have any suggestion? I will have people for Electrical jobs and Handymen there but they will have inverters that need Field bus preparation and common remote IO.

big question: how dangerous is this machinery? ...

the room in the Motel is not safe to live in.

is there any chance of renting a camping trailer (etc.) to stay in near the job site? ...

Last edited:
I had to finish commissioning a Blow Mould machines in the states from the UK when lockdown kicked off.

Some webcam and remote access, it was a challenge but doable.

And lots and lots of phone calls to the guys standing beside it!

Can't say it's a process I'd like to repeat though.

If my company was requiring me to work under these types of conditions I would make sure I was compensated, I really don't think this would have been included in your job description. (Quote - The motel room is not safe to live in - Quote)

I would think at the very least your company should insist on providing you with safe working conditions!!!!

We are just finalising the installation and commissioning of a £3M vacuum coater in the USA by remote control.

To facilitate this, we sent a laptop to site equipped with all the programming tools necessary and use TeamViewer to access it remotely. The SCADA system is equipped with a VNC server so it can also be monitored/controlled from the laptop on site. We have made extensive use of MS Teams as a continual live chat with the people on the ground in the US.

Things to note:

1) The equipment was fully tested in the UK so it was shipped as a working machine.
2) We created very detailed installation documentation (circa 200 pages)
3) We still needed compentent and reliable people at the machine end to make adjustments and press buttons.
4) Use of video is really useful so you can tell someone to "turn that knob to the left" for example.

Good luck,

Nick