Point IO Module

I Don't have one onsite anyway. One Thousand curses!!!!!

Perhaps have to whip up a Micro820 or something quick to get me 4 analog outputs.
Iv never lost an output card before today and somehow this one escaped our spare parts list. Lovely

It won't fault the connections to the other modules.

It *might* fault the controller, if you have selected the checkbox for "fault controller if connection fails in RUN mode".

You can prevent that by inhibiting the connection in Studio 5000 before you remove it.

An you'll also want to examine the field power bus connections. Because they connect in parallel via the module itself, pulling the module might break the field power bus to the modules on its right.

It won't fault the connections to the other modules.

It *might* fault the controller, if you have selected the checkbox for "fault controller if connection fails in RUN mode".

You can prevent that by inhibiting the connection in Studio 5000 before you remove it.

An you'll also want to examine the field power bus connections. Because they connect in parallel via the module itself, pulling the module might break the field power bus to the modules on its right.

Understood, its risky but might be ok.
It was a long day yesterday and when asking this question I was in the crunch and already too tired from the previous nights antics. Everything I was reading was suggesting I can hot swap it but I wasn't sure and given the $$ of product in the operation at the time, I couldn't and still cant risk it. I think we can limp like this until the weekend and then I may try to do this as discussed here and see what happens. This machine has a ton of analog cards so I'm sure this will pop up again in the future at some point.

I did manage to get something working temporarily. Its dirty and looks like a bad science fair project, but I'm simulating a signal to keep the most important valve moving. Ill have cards later this AM.

I am curious though. Has anybody here had one of these cards fail. It has no indication that its not working. The 4 output lights are green and the status indicators are all solid green. Logix says the card is happy and pushing value to all 4 channels. However, I can't measure any current output on either channel.

Thank you!

I did it.
We took the plunge as they wanted full control over the machine and I had the cards arrive.

I inhibited the module as directed.

The card in question was in slot 7, I had one more of the same card in slot 8. Slot 8's devices were still working and I didn't want to interrupt them for long, so I did not inhibit the slot 8 module. I quickly swapped out 7 and I'm not sure if it affected the outputs on 8 as it was a quick swap.

Upon un-inhibiting the module, all was back to normal! Victory Dance! They asked me not to do that again...

Thank you for the reply!

Just for piece of mind on this for the future...

Assuming 1734 Point I/O modules local to a CompactLogix 5370 L1 controller -

The 1734 Point Bus fully supports RIUP (Removal and Insertion Under Power). As the CompactLogix 5370 L1 controllers use an embedded Point Bus, they too fully support RIUP. This, of course, is just deeming it safe to remove and insert the modules while there is power on the controller and backplane. RIUP does not take into account what happens the status of the system. It just means you are not going to damage any components while doing so.

For the status during RIUP, we can do as Ken has advised and either choose to ignore the connection loss to a particular module while it is removed, preventing a controller fault, or we can inhibit the module.

For the Point Bus backplane during RIUP - we must remember that many standard Point I/O modules are added to the backplane using one or other of a Terminal Base Assembly (1734-TBx, -TOPx, etc.). When we remove a module from these bases the backplane is still intact through the base unit. The modules themselves are not needed to maintain the backplane connection.

If it's suspected a base itself is faulty and you wish to replace the base as well, then yes, the backplane will be broken once you remove the base from the middle of a Point Bus. However, if the module/base you wish to remove is at the end of a Point Bus, then you may remove them both without affecting any remaining modules to the left. As we know, there is no End Cap termination for the Point Bus. It is just a plastic protection cap. So removing anything from the end has no effect on the rest of the backplane.

These removals I'm describing as having no effect are again just in relation to not damaging any components or affecting the backplane. You still have to manage what happens the status of the controller when doing so.

Regards,
George