S7 SCL & Graph

CharlesM

I have been working on some loops in step 7 which are requiring me to us STL. I asked my local Siemens tech support guy some questions and he said I should purchase SCL. So my question is should I buy the SCL software or should I upgrade my Step 7 Basis to Step 7 Pro? I am told that Pro will come with SCL, Graph and Simulator. Pro is about $500 more than SCL by itself. Is it worth it for Graph and Simulator? What is Graph used for?

I would recommend the simulator and always use it to try out code before running it in a real plc (or submitting code on this site!).

Graph is a programming tool that allows you define a process as a series of steps and transitions and is idealy suited to controlling a sequence.

Pro it is

Most of the time (90%) I have hardware to work with so Sim may not help much. Graph looks good. I do some sequence work that it could help out on. I guess I will order Pro on Monday. Thanks for the suggestions.