iFix 5.0 VB question

mwilliamsiei

Why doesn't this work?

Dim Num As Integer
Num = 5
WriteValue Num, "Fix32.SCADA.TEST.F_CV"

The tag is an AI so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. "Num" will be a variable from another tag that is going to be passed from one PLC to an other. I would also take advise on how to write from one tag to another if there is another way to do it. After all that is what I am trying to do.
the error I am getting is:
Compile Error:
ByRef argument type mismatch

iFix 5.0 VB question
Why doesn't this work?

Dim Num As Integer
Num = 5

The tag is an AI so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. "Num" will be a variable from another tag that is going to be passed from one PLC to an other. I would also take advise on how to write from one tag to another if there is another way to do it. After all that is what I am trying to do.
the error I am getting is:
Compile Error:

I have also just gone through this, am using iFIX for the 1st time in years.

Try Dim Num as String instead, this is what worked for me.

To write the value from 1 tag to another, use the ReadValue of the tag you want to write from,
ie
Num = ReadValue("Fix32.SCADA.TEST_NEW.F_CV")
WriteValue Num, ("Fix32.SCADA.TEST.F_CV")

I am not sure if this will work as it stands, I don't have iFIX with me at the moment. Have a crack and see what you come back with.

the writevalue function expects a string, try:

Dim Num As Integer
Num = 5
WriteValue Cstr(Num), "Fix32.SCADA.TEST.F_CV"

This is what I do and it seems to work, but it involves a little overhead in terms of variables/objects. What is nice here is that you can now treat your tag as a VBA object. Give it a try and see if it works.

Note this is from Fix 3.5, not sure if 5.0 supports the System.FindObject() function.

Private Sub WriteTag_Click() 'or OnChange
Dim strTag As String
Dim ObjTag As Object

'Sets tag as a string variable
strTag = "Fix32.SCADA.TEST.F_CV"

'Finds the object corresponding to your tag name
'in the database, sets it as an object variable
Set ObjTag = System.FindObject(strTag)

'Writes to the object / database tag ObjTag
'points to.
ObjTag.Value = 5

Last edited:
Why doesn't this work?

Dim Num As Integer
Num = 5

The tag is an AI so I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I am sure this is solved by now, but should the tag type not be AO or AR?
I don't think if you can write value to the input tag.