Any cool home projects that involve PLC?

XIO

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and to PLC's. I need to learn about PLC's, specially Mitsubishi (FX series) for now. Since this is the series we use at work. I was just wondering if anyone has done any cool home projects with a PLC that maybe I could duplicate in order to get my self more familiar with the programming. I would like to keep the cost at a minimum.

Any infromation would be apreciated.

Thank you
Greg

Christmas lights are fun. Take a look at
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=6170
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=9959

If you are a really fast learner, Halloween is right around the corner.
http://www.plchalloween.com/

Additional ideas:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=30692

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=32665

Try searching the forum using phrases like +home +project or +home +automation

edit:
I've got a small water feature (short stream/small pond) in my front yard. I always thought it would be fun to make one of those little jummping water displays in the flower bed around it that activates when anyone walks down my front sidewalk where little jet bursts of water hop around the flower bed like frogs.

Last edited:
I have a Christmas tree in my lab. Student have a blast flashing the lights.

We are doing a haunted lab for Halloween. I'll have lots of fun with that. Blowing air, sounding bells and horns, flashing lights. Last year we had several folks run for cover.

Thanks for the Link.

plchacker.
There are some links to halloween show tutorials, including the pneumatics behind it, in the download section at Mr. PLC. Enjoy.

I have used a lawn irrigation program as an excercise whenever I have to "learn" a new PLC. A typical setup has 6 outs and 4 ins. I use a status brd with LEDs and switches to simulate an actual system. It gets a lot more complex then you think as you add timers, Data registers, etc. I have also used it as an HMI excercise.

I use a plc at home to control my pool pump system and garden lighting. Using the real time clock the filter run times are automatically adjusted each month.
All the pumps and lights can also be initiated from a pushbutton panel.
Next part of the project is to replace the solar control unit with the plc (anyone know a cheap way of reading the water temp?)
And then program a vb interface for the pc

Reading water temp use RTD or TC. Preferably RTD becuase TC is susceptible to EMI. You would use this with a PID or multiple outputs in PLC.

IF controlling just one load off one water temperature use a temperature switch.

Dan Bentler

Used one to scare my roommate that when she entered the fridge after a certain time it blared several different bells. Course she was on a diet at the time. Though that one is a little easy to program.

leitmotif said:
Reading water temp use RTD or TC. Preferably RTD becuase TC is susceptible to EMI. You would use this with a PID or multiple outputs in PLC.

IF controlling just one load off one water temperature use a temperature switch.

Dan Bentler
I'm not aware of a PID instruction for the SLC150. Mine does not even have analog I/O. I have a simple thermal switch, and float switches. I have a relay to turn on the heater, and sol. valves to drain and add water. I could control lighting, but the location of the tank (in wall between dining room and living room) is not the ideal place. The PLC and terminal blocks are mounted, but I have not been able to complete this project. I have four children, and am involved in community development. I don't have much time for hobbies right now.

Alaric, thanks again. I'll forward this to my students. It is a highlight for our department, and I try to let the students call the shots. It is a lot of fun. We have a decent Chem lab, lots of critters and organs from the biology bunch, O-scopes, glassware, and cool audio/video tools. Last year we used a hack saw and battery charger to create sparks when sawing a leg off. My group gets the rather large process lab. We have four PLC's (505's and 1500's) with RSView. Lots of single loop controllers, not many cylinders, but plenty valves buzzers and bells. We may pull several 504's from the motor control lab with indicator lamps to create glowing/blinking eyes in the distance.

playing @ home

I am using 2 old DL 340's, but I set up some home automation. Lights on off. simple alarm. and monitor my well. If it goes below pressure for to long it alarms and shuts down til reset. Had a broke line one time lol. I also use one to control a small n-guage railroad. kids love wantching the trains and lights work themselves. I would look around and see what I have as far as I/O and such and then look around the house and see what would interest you. Make it fun and you will learn alot in the process.

I've got a Mitubishi Alpha controlling my pool pump. Weekly and Monthly timers to make the pool pump run different hours in different months instead of being on all the time.

Also low voltage yard lights, irrigation systems, etc.

I knew a guy in NY who had sensors on his doors and had it logging the times the doors were opened (front, back, garage) so he could keep an eye on his kids getting in late.

Modem and router reset

I use a separate modem and router for my internet at the house. The modem has to come on before the router does. I set up a few timers and a push button to where both power off a few seconds, then the modem kicks on, and finally the router powers up. Both are located in a not so readily accessible location, so it's easy for my wife or kids to reset it after a power failure.

*Edit: I didn't realize how old this thread was. Any other ideas would greatly be appreciated. I'm looking for stuff that's outside of the normal lights, appliances, and water features.

Last edited: