Keyence Laser Marker Profinet

timryder

Hey Guys,

Having an issue on a customers machine I have an S7 315-2PN/DP processor and I'm connecting via ProfiNet to a Keyence MD-X1500 laser marker and I'm having issues with the communication dropping out occasionally. The processor goes into a STOP unfortunately when this happens (often) and the customer is getting irritated with it so I'm looking for help troubleshooting this and would like any general help or suggestions to fix it.

I have a Cat5e cable going from the PLC to a Stride SE2-SW5U Unmanaged switch which supports all of the following "IEEE 802.3i, 802.3u, 802.3x for 10/100 Ethernet IEEE 802.3ab, 802.3z for Gigabit Ethernet". I've read that ProfiNet lies within the lines of IEEE 802.3b so it should be fine. then I have a Cat5e cable going from the switch to the Keyence laser, less than 10ft. I have done a cable check on these two cables at the time of build and they seem fine.

I suppose it's possible the switch it dropping packets?

I attached the messages i was getting in the processor which lead me to this point. The address 2033 is the Keyence Laser Marker using the ProfiNet.

SO any help anyone can offer would be great.

Thanks

Hendrickson Error.jpg

The Ethernet switch should be fine unless you have a lot of devices connected to it or a high update rate for your I/O. A heavy use HMI or data collection connection can also cause problems.
Is this switch connected to a plant network? This could be allowing extra traffic on the switch.

Is the Ethernet cable running to the marker controller running near (especially parallel) any high voltage or high frequency cables or wiring?
I have had Ethernet problems in these cases even with shielded Ethernet cables.

As a side note, if you add the OB mentioned in Event 7 of the picture you posted, the processor should not change to a stop state.
I'm not a Siemens expert, but on the few projects I did, I added several of the I/O interrupt OB's with no logic to the program to prevent PLC unwanted stop faults.
I made sure the rest of the program reported the module diagnostics and prevented unintended operation.

As long as the communication fault recovers automatically and doesn't cause other program or process problems, adding the OB may buy you some time to figure out the communication issue.