Adding a AC linear servo to RSLOGIC

TREBORRETSOK

Hi

I am trying to add a AC Servo Linear Actuator, I know that i have to add a axis, but when i am trying to add the motor with catalog number. In the drop down menu the motor servo that I have is not in the drop down menu how do I add or update the catalog drop down menu.

Cat No. is MPAI-B2150CV32A
Using a Kinetix 6500, according to the manual that is compatible

Thank You

Welcome to the Forum!

What process part number and version of RSlogix?

Search for at the Rockwell website for add-on-profiles, you may be missing it for the servo you have.

Thank You for replying, I am at home right now so cant provide that information what version I have on rslogix. I tried looking for it on the web site, but i wasn't looking in the add-on-profile, so that will the next thing i will do.

If I am reading it correct I am looking for a EDS file.

Thank you very much
jstolaruk

Be sure your Axis is associated with the Servo that's in the project I/O tree on Ethernet.

If it is, then the motors compatible with the Kinetix 6500 should show up in the Motor section of the Axis configuration.

Just type "MPAI" into the filter field; yours should show up as "MPAI-B2xxxC-V3xx".

There should be no involvement of an Add-On Profile or an EDS File for this motor definition.

Thank you sir for helping me with my program if I go to the motor tap i only get MPAI-B3xxxx, There are no b2 in the list

Thank You
Ken Roach

Thank you sir for helping me with my program if I go to the motor tap i only get MPAI-B3xxxx, There are no b2 in the list

Thank You
Ken Roach

Good info, thanks ! I made an incorrect assumption about the absence of the actuator type, not just the specific part number.

Exposition: the MPAI series are a heavy duty linear cylinder actuator, not a linear motor. So they're really an ordinary MP-series servo motor at heart.

The first "B" means they're 480 volt motors.

The next digit describes the frame size: "A" is 64mm, "B" is 83 mm, "C" is 110mm, "D" is 144 mm.

So the absence of a particular frame size, rather than the absence of a whole category of motors, suggests that the smaller actuators weren't included in the hardware files at the time the software was released.

I have to retract my statement that an Add-On Profile won't be involved in the solution, because it might.

RA Knowledgebase Article ID 789608 (TechConnect Required) includes a bunch of Motion Database files that can be added to Studio 5000 to add support for some motors that weren't in the original release.

It also suggests that the absence of a specific MPAI motor (a slightly different one than yours, the MPAI-A2150CV32A) in RSLogix 5000 v20 can be remedied by downloading and installing an Add-On Profile for a CIP Motion Encoder v9.02.00, from the AOP download site. This works because the AOP also installs the latest motor database.

That KB Article also includes very useful links to documents describing compatibility of the motor databases and how to install a new one correctly.

Thank you for all this information, and time you put in to my problem. I will research with the information you gave me including the article to solve this problem that I have. I will let you know how this end put it should go pretty good, because I think you send me in a direction before hearing all this i was going around in circles.

Thank you very much,
Ken Roach

Thanks to the people who helped me add the hardware in to rslogix I am able to select that catalog number now, I am not out the wood yet because after homing it and giving it a MAM comment it faults out on S55 vel error, but i will do research on that, and see if i can figure it out thanks again for the quick response

Robert Koster:geek: