Information on ASCII

PhillipA

Good evening. I have a question about programming with ASCII. I recently was asked to do some programming for project at work. A servo motor with it's own onboard drive has been ordered along with a Maple Systems HMI. The idea is to program the drive and use the HMI to talk to the drive to give speed reference and start/stop commands. But I was told that the drive only uses standard ASCII to talk. I've never used ASCII to communicate. Could someone please give me some pointers on this. Thanks.

Instead of a broad discussion of how asynchronous serial connections encode basic ASCII characters, let's narrow it down.

What make and model of servo controller are you using ? What exact model of Maple Systems HMI ?

Is there a PLC involved in this system at all ?

Ideally the Maple Systems HMI will have a driver that supports the servo. Writing your own serial driver using an ASCII-based transaction manager is not a project for a novice.

Thanks for the reply. The servo is a Lexium series by Schneider motion, The model number is LMHCM573. The Maple systems HMI is a 5040BN. THere is no PLC involved. Thank you so much for taking the time to lend a hand.

OK. I thought about maybe getting a small Click PLC from Automation Direct. I've never used one of these. I've always used either Allen Bradley or Modicon. Not sure how setting up registers will be on this. Thanks again. All help is welcomed.

This is a classic case of buying cheap hardware, and spending costly time in trying to get it to work, and finding out you need more components and engineering. Spend some more money on the correct hardware and you can save time and engineering. Using a Modbus/TCP HMI and Modbus/TCP controller is a better way to do this. It would eliminate the PLC, and you have an application example already developed.

Well, I've already heard of some new additions to the wish list. So the PLC will come in handy anyways. I was just asking for a little help. And it would be much appreciated.