E-Stop Circuit Design

Shosh

Question about an EStop circuits. I have a cell running off of 1 plc. The cell has multiple sections with multiple Auto Circuits. Should we have a single estop circuit for the entire system or can the EStop circuits be broken down per section?

Can find it in any standard where this is stated. Thanks

I guess it depends on the system, but it is always a good idea to have a general stop button and making sure that it is clearly marked as such.
The issue here is that in the event of emergency you may want to shut the whole thing down and not a single bit... but then again, I guess it depends on the system itself.

I agree with cardosocea, you should have a general stop button (drop out the MCR or such). You can zone the e-stops if it makes sense to do so. The main thing is e-stop's are not proactive protection devices, they won't stop you from getting hurt.

You really have to do a risk assessment on your machine and determine what works for the machine & operators, where the hazards are, and what is accessible from where.

Risk assessment standards are: ISO 27001, ANSI B11.TR3, ANSI/RIA R15.06
Guarding/interlocking: ANSI B11, ISO 13849-1 and -2

Those will give you a good place to start.

Agree with the above posters. The standards basically say "figure out what is safe for your system, then do that", and then provide a whole bunch of math to make you quantify exactly what safe means.