Siemens Step 7 VMware PLC Connection

Hi Guys,

I have had this working at one point and I have no clue what has changed that has stopped my step 7 from being able to connect via Ethernet/Profinet whatever you want to call it, to a CPU 315 2pn/dp processor. I have tried creating a NAT and a bridge from VMware 12.5 to my windows 7 ultimate VM with Siemens step 7 5.5 SP4 installed and every time I go to accessible nodes I get nothing. I have verified it is not the PLC as I have connected a PG laptop to it that we have on hand and it has no problems seeing the PLC. The other thing I do not understand is I can ping the IP address of the PLC but when I open step 7 and hit accessible nodes nothing comes up. I am pretty sure that this protocol uses MAC addresses to communicate but does anyone have a better detailed explanation of exactly how it works?

Also I have tried every configuration I can think of. I set a IP address on the host machine that had a subnet that could communicate to the PLC then NAT that into the VM. Tried Bridging the connection with setting a IP address on the same subnet as the PLC on both the host and VM. Tried just setting the IP address in the VM and just setting the IP address on the host using DHCP other wise. Nothing seems to work. I also turned off all other adapters (wireless card) as this is on a Laptop, that did not work either.

If anyone has detailed pics/configs of the host LAN adapter, the VM LAN adapter, the PG/PC interface, and the settings for the adapter in the VM I would greatly appreciate it

Been at this issue for about a half a day and it worked at one point months ago connecting to a similar CPU.

Thanks,
PG

I usually have connect direct to network selected and set the IP inside the VM. Make sure your Wi-Fi on your host is off.

You should at least be able to ping it from inside your VM this way.

If you want to do accessible nodes, you need to use Bridged, not NAT. In Bridged mode, if you can PING it, you should be able to browse to it as well.

Honestly, sometimes the VMWare networking is just a pain. It often automatically grabs the wrong interface, and it doesn't work right until I reboot everything. Make sure it is the only active interface before you do, and things should come up right.

I find sometimes the easiest route is to just use a USB Ethernet adapter, and pass it into the VM directly.

"I find sometimes the easiest route is to just use a USB Ethernet adapter, and pass it into the VM directly."

This is a great idea. Not sure why I did not think of this. Had one laying around and tried it out. Works perfectly!

Thank you all for the help!
PG

mk42 is right.
Bridged network must be used.

Steps:
1. In VMware, outside of the VM, open the Virtual Network Editor
2. Gain admin privileges by clicking on "change settings" in the lower part of the window.
3. Set your preferred network adapter on "Bridged" network. Do not use Automatic. If you use your ethernet adapter, then set it. The same if you use your wifi adapter.

Then you must check the VM settings:
at least one virtual adapter must be set in "Bridged" to the same virtual network configured above. You can have multiple bridged virtual networks with multiple virtual adapters.
If you have only one bridged virtual network and only one adapter in the VM, everything should be easy and straightforward.

Inside the virtual machine you just have to configure the static IP if you connect directly to the CPU or if the control network doesn't have a DHCP server.

2017-07-21 15_24_14-.png 2017-07-21 15_24_36-Virtual Network Editor.png