Honeywell HC900 questions

juzeko

I am an engineering student and I'm new to the Honeywell HC900 system. I have an assignment to create adaptive control with a reference model and then test it on a laboratory model. I have a few questions regarding this subject.

1. Is it possible to change the cycle rate in HC900? I am aware of the normal and fast scans but could I put a custom cycle rate?

2.Could someone explain me the execution order and the cycle rate. (Does it mean if I have, for example, a cycle rate of 1 second and 2 function blocks, that after 0.5 sec block with execution order 1 will have calculated values on output and after 1 sec second block will have output too or at the end of cycle time the output is put at the same time on both blocks?)

3.How do I write the transfer function which I need for the reference model in Hybrid Control Designer? (I have some ideas with sumator blocks, but I need a better understanding of the above mentioned question, taking into account me needing outputs in steps y(k), y(k-1)..... )

4.Is it possible to write a recursive algorithm based on a vector of previous values? (to allocate some space in memory for writing previous values and calculate new ones for parameter identification (to mention a few examples)).

5.Is HC900 a PLC or is it a hybrid controller? What is the difference?

6.Are there any lessons or tutorials for hc900 available for download? Why is there almost nothing about this controller?(nobody uses it or what?)

THX!

Last edited:
1) You can only select from one of two rates for discretes, fast or normal. Analog inputs and outputs are processed at a rate of twice per second (technically every 512 mA, I believe). There is no selection for any analog scan rate other than that.

2) The normal execution order is the order in which function blocks are placed into service in the software developement tool. But there is an execution order list, which allows any function block to be moved to any other position in the execution order so that execution works on the proper terms.

Here's Honeywell's statement from the controller spec sheet:

Function blocks are grouped by scan rate, fast or normal, and by function, Principal or Standard. Function Block Execution - All function blocks operate synchronously with I/O processing. Inputs are measured at the start of every scan and outputs are updated at the end of every scan. Function blocks such as Time Proportioning Outputs (TPO) and Position Proportioning outputs (PPO) require higher output resolution and are updated when the function blocks are executing. Micro-controllers on digital I/O modules can maintain TPO duty cycle operation during failsafe conditions. Micro-controllers on all I/O modules allow outputs to be configured to assume a default state in the event of a fault condition.

3) I don't have a clue about transfer functions

4) HC has variables that might be used for what you describe. Memory is generally not 'accessible'; one works at a higher level with the FB's.

5) HC is a hybrid controller, designed first for analog PID processing, with some boolean FBs, a couple timers, and a sequencer for handling moderate to slow processes. It makes no pretense of being a PLC.
Yes, it has steel rack of various slot sizes, a power supply, a backplane, a controiller module, modular I/O, ethernet & serial comms, & redundancy if needed, but it is not designed as a sequence processor, but as a multi-loop PID process processor. And it works well for that.

I like it because firmware and software updates are free, it's got functions for thermal processing, like ramp-soak setpoint programmin, and an easy to use Modbus master.

6) information is at http://hpsweb.honeywell.com/Cultures/en-US/Products/Instrumentation/hybrid/default.htm

separate pages for controller, software and O/I.
spec sheets under 'literature'
manuals under 'manuals'

Honeywell distributors used to pass out a miniCD with Hybrid Control Designer (the development software) and documentation, that one could use. The development software was crippled somehow or other, I can't recall the details.

On the HCD software's software downloads page there's a download file:

Hybrid Control Designer - Demo Version 4_3 Demonstartion HC Designer software - Configuration download capability is disabled. 10.54MB .zip

It's probably the same version that was on the mini-CD.

There used to be tutorials around, in fact, I think they were on the Mini-CD. There are a number of app notes on the controller > techtips page.

ironic, the attached 3 page document just arrived from a Honeywell contact: Using Honeywell Accutne III.

I didn't know that half of the other autotuning algorithms were even avaiable in the HC-900 . . .

You might want to see what's there already.

Current Attachments
pdf.gif
Using_HC900_Accutune_III.pdf (43.8 KB)

First of all, to realize transfer function You must set up constant execiution time, and to be sure thath Your function will be calling in cycles with known cycle time. Your prametric model whitch You want to simulate must be derive with sampe time equals cyclic time in Your PLC.
Next, You should in every cycle update an buffer (I recommend cyclic buffer) of outputs and inputs of your parametric model. Core is computing in every cycle an new output value of parametric model but I think You know how to do it.
If You want I can send You some sample program. I realize this on Beckhoff PLC in structure text leanguage.
If you need some help, please keep contatct, OK ?

Best regards and good luck !
Szymon Leja

Last edited:
Help for Software HC900 Controller

I am work witch a HC900 COntroler and I need programing to PLC, but I dont'h have this software. Thanks

Honeywell's Control Designer software (formerly Hybrid Control Designer) Development software is needed to
upload the program from the controller CPU into the software, view the program, edit or change the program, download a program from the PC to the controller CPU. The current version is backwards compatible for all versions (it can compile back to V1)

Designer software is licensed software, is not downloadable from the web; it is only available on CD. The versions on the public web site are update versions and will not install unless a licensed version already exists on the PC.

You need to purchase Designer software. There is a link to Honeywell sales on the last page of the software spec sheet.
https://www.honeywellprocess.com/library/marketing/tech-specs/51-52-03-43.pdf

Help Honeywell

Hello everyone ! Im new to Honeywell, can anyone send a sample program ? Just to study from it please ? I truly need your help, and if you can give me a program I will be very gratefull.

can anyone send a sample program?
An HC900 program file is useless without the development software needed to open and view it. The development is licensed and about $1200 (USD).

Pdf'd copies of the Function Block (FB) diagrams for a boiler and a vacuum furnace are attached, which should give you an idea of the FB layout. Neither has Modbus Function blocks, however.

Help

Hey danw, I need your help, I don't know where to start in my program, I have a narrative but I don't know how to begin, can I call you or can you help me to do this project, or do you know someone that can help ? I don't know how to start the program and I still don't understand set point.