Siwarex CS. 1st time configuration.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

This is my first time with the Siwarex CS module for ET200S.
I have tried the sample project with S7 code and WinCC Flexible HMI screens, and has it hooked up to a real CPU with a real ET200S w. Siwarex CS and a loadcell.

But the HMI screens doesnt seem to read any data from the Siwarex module.
Am I wrong in assuming that I can do the 1st configuration by the HMI screens ?
Do I have to hook up a PC with the Siwarex software over RS232 ?

Hi Jesper.

It's possible to do allmost everything from the HMI in the "Getting Started" project.
I'll need to change the Parameter "ADDR" to adress that you have in your HW-Config, after that you'll be able to adjust all the parameters in the Siwarex CS module.

Hej Steffen.

I copied over all the sample code blocks.
And I setup an ET200S with the Siwarex CS card and the same address (256) as in the sample project.
The CPU and ET200S can see each other on the Profibus. There is no Bus Fault.
The HMI screens from the sample project are "dead", and I cannot change any of the parameters. The upload buttons dont seem to do anything.

I am stumped as to what I am doing wrong.
Right now I am resorting to redoing all the basic setup with the sample project to see if I have made something wrong the first time.

But it is important to me to know that I do not have to do the initial setup of the Siwarex module with a serial connection.

Hi Jesper

Do you have an active connection between the PLC and the HMI, I know this very basic, but sometimes it can be that basic.
There are some VAT's in the project, are they "Alive" ?
You can start-up the Siwarex from the HMI in the "Getting Started" project, you don't need the SiwaTool to do this.
You can call me if you want, I'm just across the street.

Hej Steffen.

Yes, I have a connection. I am running the sample TP177B projects from my programming PC (no not simulated mode !).
I havent used the VATs, but I will check them as well.
I dont have exactly the same hardware as in the sample project, 317-2PNDP in stead of 315-2PN/DP, PC RT in stead of TP177B, so there is the possibility that I goofed up when I modified the sample project.

If I dont get a breaktrough soon, then I may possibly give you a call.

I have managed to get online with the Siwarex module by means of the getting started project.
Now I will try to adapt it to my real project, and hopefully it will keep working.

At last, I have managed to get everything up and working.
Some errors were due to that I hadnt done a consistency check after I modified some of the blocks. Reminder to self: Always do a block consistency check.
But the main error was that I hadnt set the ET200S IM151-1 to DP V1 mode. It was set to DP V0 in my test program. This is not at all well described in the manual. It says that the module must support DP V1, but it does not say that you have to turn on DP V1. The default is DP V0, even if the module supports DP V1.

OK now.
So now I can concentrate on the HMI screens, which are VERY quirky - at least to my taste.

So here are some questions:

1. I am guessing that the main parameter to set is the full scale range of the connected load cell(s). And I am guessing it is the parameter s_JUST_DAT.i_CALIB_WEIGHT1 that must be the full scale value in engineering value (kg, ton or N). And this must match s_JUST_DAT.w_CALIB_DIGITS1 which is the raw input value from the load cells, and it is typically 60000. Am I right ?

2. I find it strange that the various limit values and scaled values etc. are displayed in the sample project with two decimal points. And they are INTs, so it effectively limits these values to +/- 327 kg/t/N. Do they really mean we have to manually set the decimal point !?
Why dont they use REALs ? Or am I missing something simple ?

3. Just to simply get an analog value of the gross scaled signal, are there anything else I have to set apart from the "characteristic value range" (1mV/V, 2mV/V, 4mV/V) and the "Adjustment weight 1" (mentioned above) ?

NB. The only reason for using these Siwarex CS modules is because I have to replace some old Siwarex modules for ET100.

Am I correct in assuming that I can get the raw unscaled signal from the module can be read from the variable s_JUST_DAT.i_ADC_DIGIT and s_JUST_DAT.i_ADC_DIGIT_FILTER without and with filter respectively ?

I am tempted to dump this Siwarex CS nonsense and do everything like I always do.

The only reason for selecting the CS module is because we are retrofitting a plant where the ET100 siwarex modules were located in the control panel far away from the load cells. I use the Siwarex CF modules other places, but these do not monitor the excitation voltage (via SEN+ and SEN-), so they are not suited for long cable connections. To get the monitoring of the excitation voltage I have to use the CS modules. I could have gone for a 3rd party module from Beckhoff, but we prefer to buy from Siemens and avoid introducing new suppliers.

I already have the manual and have perused it, but it is like many things from Siemens, not very well-written and creates many more questions than answering them.

I want to avoid having to use the Siwatool software. I am disappointed that you have to go online with a serial cable. Why cant I go online via the usual PLC connection ?

The Siwarex is developed in another department than the "Normal" Step7 package, that might have something to do with the lacking of integration.
You don't need the SiwaTool to setup the Scale, you can use the HMI

As I posted in the control panel pictures thread, I have finished this project with Siwarex CS.

I finally figured out how this whole thing is supposed to work - despite the only partly helpful manual.
I ended up with doing my own scaling functions based on the raw signal from the ADC (the s_JUST_DAT.i_ADC_DIGIT parameter).

If you use the integral scaling functions, then you MUST use the calibration with at least two calibration points (typically empty and full).
Problem is that there are situations where you dont have the possibility to load a full calibration weight and dont need the calibration to be absolutely correct, but you DO need a working signal.
And that was exactly my case. We were under a very tight schedule, and did not have the possibility to load the scale with a calibrated test weight. And we actually didnt need to have a perfectly calibrated signal. We did test with smaller weights to be sure that we were not totally off. This would not have been possible if we used the integrated scaling functions. The output signal would stay off until we have gone through the scaling of two points. Maybe I am wrong, and maybe it would have been possible to have an "uncalibrated" output signal, but the manual does not mention any such possibility.

If you do decide to do like me, then be aware that there is one parameter that must be set on the module. It is the loadcell sensitivity of 1mV/V, 2mv/V or 4mV/V.

Hi,

I know this thread is really old by now. However, i just had a quick question about these SIWAREX CS modules.
Are you required to use a serial cable to configure the Weighing module
or is it possible to simply load the proper parameter values in the PLC and be done with it?

I have to configure 4 of these modules upcoming friday..

Thanks!