RSLogix 5000 Read Only Access?

chrisj91

Hi,

One of our clients is wanting to view PLC Code offline and online to diagnose/fault find. The problem is, he is the type of guy who will likely make changes without running it by anyone first (I know this is an issue in itself!), and his superiors only want him to be able to view the PLC codes, not alter anything.

Anyways, I have managed to set him up an RSView32 project with RSLadder 500 integrated in as an ActiveX control and restricted him from being able to download etc. but he can still get online - this works great for what everyone wants.

Problem is, this only works for controllers programmed with RSLogix 500 software obviously. We do have one CompactLogix on site which has been programmed using RSLogix 5000.

I have spent a day or so looking around and experimenting but cannot find any suitable resolution so far...

Ideas that would be suitable in my head would be one of the following:
- Something similar to RSLadder 500 for RSLogix 5000 (don't think anything exists though...)
- Restricting elements within RSLogix 5000 using FactoryTalk security (only ones available are to restrict Firmware Updates etc, not to download!)
- Having a view only version of RSLogix 5000 (I know Service Edition exists but I don't think they're prepared to pay the cost)
- Password protecting the PLC to prevent a download (I know you can lock the controller with a password but I believe that this also prevents online access for viewing?)

FYI - I am using RSLogix 5000 V17.00.00 (CPR 9 SR 1)...

Any suggestions or pointers?

Ahhh, I was afraid that was going to be the case...!!

Not to worry - I will have to have a word with his superiors and see what they are prepared to do (they might just say that he's got enough with all the other PLCs).

Thanks for clarifying anyways!

Depending on the amount of gear you have FT Asset Centre will give you this ability also but it can be much more granular if you choose. It can be done with stand alone plc.'s but it's much better if they are networked.

Is FT Asset Centre a free download or bundled with something? The PLC is standalone and does not have an Ethernet port (we go online by going to the PLC with a Serial cable). Is it similar to FactoryTalk Security?

It work with FT Security. For the gear you have Asset Centre would not be worth it.

Setup his laptop with FT Security and limit him to Read only functions.