1756-dhrio

stevensonjeff

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was linking a pair of old 1791 Block I/O modules to a CLX rack via a 1756-DHRIO configured as a RIO scanner, but while configuring the communications in the I/O tree I kept getting an error message that the module already exists. Finally figured out that I was using names for the modules that I used on another project. Changed the module names and life got good. I guess there is some kind of a "cache" of names stored somewhere. My question is does anyone know where the list of names is, and is there a way to clear it?

That's interesting ! I've only ever seen such a name conflict checking within a single project itself.

This was a 1756-DHRIO, not a 1756-RIO ?

Did you have another project open, or incompletely closed ?

What version of RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000 are you using ?

I was linking a pair of old 1791 Block I/O modules to a CLX rack via a 1756-DHRIO configured as a RIO scanner, but while configuring the communications in the I/O tree I kept getting an error message that the module already exists. Finally figured out that I was using names for the modules that I used on another project. Changed the module names and life got good. I guess there is some kind of a "cache" of names stored somewhere. My question is does anyone know where the list of names is, and is there a way to clear it?

I've never seen this either. I've got lots of PLC5/ControlLogix migrations on my main laptop, and many contain RIO racks called "RACK_02", "RACK_03",etc. because I typically change the processor rack first and don't migrate the RIO to E/IP until the project conversion is debugged. You didn't by chance have the duplicate names in a single Architect file, did you?

Thanks for the replies guys. I did some more digging and it turns out I had a brain dead moment. I had named the adapters and the modules themselves with the same names. The reason it worked on one module was I had the adapter named "First" and the module named "Fist". The second module was named "Second" on both kept throwing the error. I went to Ron Beaufort's boot camp last year and saw him connect a CLX to a 1791 and foolishly thought I could do it just as easily as he did.