PLC and DCS?

solimanz

S
am just confused about the diffrences between them both..what type of internal processor does a a DCS use ?

This has been discussed many times, use the search feature at the top of the page, should get many hits.

The Foxboro I/A DCS used standard Intel chips until about 6-8 years ago, they now use standard AMD chips. I believe the computing power of the current Control Processor is about the same as a Pentium II or III.

Basically..WHO CARES? As far as programming and applying who cares what processor is used, as long as it will do the job efficiently.

These days there is a gray area between what a DCS does compared to what a PLC can do. The processor will be similar if not exactly the same depending on system.

well knowing what's internal helps u better understand the operation..thats my point of view

The difference between DCS and PLC is growing smaller. AB Control Logix IO cards are now rebadged and used as Honeywell DCS under an agreement between the two companies.

The BIG difference is SCADA for PLC doesnt contain any logic, it is still in the PLC. DCS generally has the graphics and the programming within one terminal so operators can view a logic chart, sequence table etc and fault find.

The advantage of PLC is that you can upload the program from the PLC if you lose your backup. DCS, lose your backup and your engineering station and you are in big trouble, no more changes!

SOLIMANZ said:
well knowing what's internal helps u better understand the operation..thats my point of view

My signature is my way of life..Involve me and I understand.

Please explain why knowing what processor is used will help umderstamd the operation.