Forum, All PLC Manufactures

I notice on the AB site at http://support.rockwellautomation.com/ they quite cearly state
Note: Microsoft Internet Explorer must be used to download files or initiate support request. Connectivity to this site via Mozilla Firefox is not supported.
Any views or experience with this? Why should The Hand of Bill extend so far in to AB's domain?

Ken

who can give me a address for download logix5000v16 demo ,i want to try it for some new characterister .

only v15 demo is available If want & If you have the registered version & you are in support contract rockwell then you download it from rockwell site

Ken M said:
I notice on the AB site at http://support.rockwellautomation.com/ they quite cearly state Quote:
Note: Microsoft Internet Explorer must be used to download files or initiate support request. Connectivity to this site via Mozilla Firefox is not supported.
Any views or experience with this? Why should The Hand of Bill extend so far in to AB's domain?

Ken
This might have to do with the possibilities IE gives to peek (and poke) into your computer. Another possibility is that IE makes it possible to start software, whereas this is much more difficult with FireFox. Both reasons make me prefer FireFox.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Thanks JvdC

I have also been a bit suspicious of just how dependent on IE my other installed software should be. There are some Microsoft automatic checks and updates that you can't perform without IE, but that seems reasonable to me: it's their software, they set the rules for it. So when I have to do it manually in Firefox I'm prepared to accept it. However I've never found anyone outside Microsoft explicitly warning against using Firefox before this. It just makes me wonder what AB are up to ....

Ken

I've ran into many sites that don't support non-ie browsers. Most of the time it's just compatibility issues. The web designers don't want to, or can't/won't due to lack of ability, manhours, software, etc. make the webpage compatible with other browsers.

Others do it for security issues. Firefox/Mozilla/Opera have lots of features which can allow you access to things on a page that the webmaster doesn't want you to have access to. Bypassing basic securities and downloading imbedded media of sorts is a feature Firefox does easily, which IE doesn't. I'd be willing to be this is why AB doesn't allow non-IE browsers.

Only allowing IE is cheaper and easier for securing their website. It's all about saving money.

It seems strange to me...I have downloaded software from Microsoft's website using Firefox, and never had any issues. On my laptop I run Suse Linux, and the web browser has settings you can change that tell the websites you visit what OS and browser you are using. I wonder if that could work...

Ken M said:
I notice on the AB site at http://support.rockwellautomation.com/ they quite cearly state Any views or experience with this? Why should The Hand of Bill extend so far in to AB's domain?[/b]

Ken
Annoying, isn't it?

I managed to start a download once using firefox, but it hung after some MBytes and then aborted. I think I used to be able to download using Netscape.

I've run into related problems elsewhere:
  • I can't log into our local Vodafone site using firefox - have to use IE
  • I can't log into the web server on the ML1100 using firefox. Apparently only IE6 will work not IE7 (from a Ken Roach post here).
It's the old MS embrace & enhance (and then exclude & extort) con. MS embrace the universal standards, then add some proprietary "enhancements" that don't follow the standards. Users get sucked into employing the unique features because they appear easier and before you know it, only IE can use your website and the web-surfing public disdain the competing browsers.