AB Compactlogix with analog output question!!

93lt1

Situation:
Logix 5330
A few discrete I/O
A 1769-OF2 2 channel analog voltage/current output card.....
All of the discrete I/O are functioning properly.

I ABSOLUTLY cannot get a voltage or current signal from the card.

I am using channel 0.

I have channel zero range bit 9 set (indicating 0 to 10 voltage output)

I left 0's in the channel zero (whatever those bits are called), indicating raw data (-32768-32767).

I have the channel zero enable bit set.

I have a integer command, 20000, in the channel zero output INT word.

I have tried the voltage source switch on the card in both positions (bus/external)

I have swapped OF2 cards, and tried both voltage and current(configurations) with both cards.

There are no "card faults" seen in the status bits/words.

Is there an extra hoop that I must jump through to get this thing to work?

I have already had a run-in, that lost a lot of time, with this project (addressing PV300 DH-485 (RS-232) to the Compactlogix, finally finding that there is a knowledgebase doc specifically about this type of arrangment)

Extra Credit:
Anyone know why the DH-485 (RS-232) Panelviews are different than the rest when connected to a Compactlogix?

Knowledgebase doc. #

For future reference:

Knowledgebase doc A20946 is about addressing Panelview to Compactlogix via DH-485.

I still need some ideas with the analog card problem!?!?! :mad:

I set up a 1769-OF2/A in a blank project for a 1769-L30 using Logix 5000 version 10 and firmware 10.12 for the controller. Internal power, and a simple voltmeter on Output 0 (in fact, it's an A-B sales demo).

I downloaded it, then poked the same data into the data table you did; Bits 9 and 15 in the Configuration Word for Channel 0, and a value of 20000 in the output.

And like your setup, nothing worked ! No connection errors, no module errors, no output voltage, no nothing !

Then I cycled power to the system. Surprise, on came the output.

After trying a few permutations, I found that if I set the Range and Enable bits before downloading, the program came up running correctly immediately. If I set them after downloading, I needed to cycle power to the system.

This implies that the 1769-OF2 only accepts it's configuration at bootup.

Let us know if your experience matches that !

Last edited:
Well, look at this !

There is a Message type in Version 10 that I hadn't seen in Version 8, labeled "Module Reconfigure". When you select it, descriptive text appears saying that this message will "Update module configuration without interuupting the connection".

I tried putting one of those into my program, and sure enough I could download a program without the configuration bits set, then set them, then send the MSG and the output took off running.

Where you find this in the user manual, I don't know.... like you, I seldom get to read the manual before I get to wrestle with the product. I think I found a place in the configuration chapter that this info would be ideal to add.

I finally got it to work by setting config bit 12, giving me "engineering units". This time just happened to cycle power after setting the bit and then checked the output. Finally I got it.

I could swear I did the same without bit 12 set and got nothing. When I finally did get it working I needed to procede quickly, so I couldnt waste any more time changing things back (I hadnt written the logic for the analog output, so I really didnt care what kind of data I needed to send to the card)

So Ken......
Are you gonna answer my extra credit question about the PV? :D