Where did Elon Musk go wrong?

Yeah... I'm not going to touch that eccentric billionaire behavior with a ten-foot pole.

My daily appreciation of the Tesla vehicle products is that the Autopilot technology is really helping lead the industry in that direction. Nissan's current ProPilot is very good, and when it's tied to a 200 HP performance model (yes, really !) of the LEAF in 2019 it's going to give Model 3 a run for its money.

I got stuck in a backup behind a highway collision this morning for about 40 minutes of stop-and-go traffic. Low-speed cruise control systems are going to decrease in cost and increase in popularity fast.

It would be neat to see real analysis of how stop-and-go traffic flows when the stop-and-go decisions are automated, instead of composed of the decisions and skills of a thousand bored and distracted humans.

It would be neat to see real analysis of how stop-and-go traffic flows when the stop-and-go decisions are automated, instead of composed of the decisions and skills of a thousand bored and distracted humans.

I was extremely interested in taking a course in road design as an elective when I was in college. There are a lot of really interesting problems, like that one, and I'm curious how much of the hassle of my commute is lazy engineering vs carefully controlled chaos vs system overutilization. However, I wasn't willing to take the 3 semesters of cement mixing that the Civil Engineering dept required as a pre-requisite.....

So instead, this mechanical engineer took an "engineering economics" class that took a whole semester to teach the idea of compound interest

Tesla is way behind in all aspects design, development and production
But as I said before his plan is working very well for him it's giving him a lot of publicity
thus a lot of investors. but what he is introducing is already out there.
GM is intruding a fully automatous care as early as 2019 they are waiting on the permits to remove the steering wheel
Check this out
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/unde...cpc&srch_tag=6oydzasemqsvekuntbtwowg5g6uh3lah

Tesla is way behind in all aspects design, development and production

If all of their regulatory approvals go smoothly, GM will be allowed to build 2,500 autonomous Cruise AV vehicles as early as 2019, and apply to have them operated in seven states.

Tesla has built that many vehicles with the hardware to do those functions since Monday.

We could argue about the difference between a fully-autonomous vehicle with no steering wheel and a vehicle that has the option to drive with a driver or without. There's no question that GM is the 800 pound gorilla of American vehicle manufacturing. I remember the factories that liberated Europe.

But I drove to work this morning in a car with the hardware to drive itself, and with a hard-charging R&D program behind it. "Tally", and thousands of her sisterships, are pouring millions of images into the AI analysis engines every single day.

And maybe the most marvelous part is that it doesn't matter if Tesla is "ahead" or "behind" of GM or Toyota or VW. Every single EV that goes on the road instead of a combustion-engined car, regardless of the nameplate, is literally part of Tesla's corporate mission statement.

Tesla, the Nissan Leaf, now GM's EV is going to be fully capable of self-driving. So why can't or won't they make a standard ICE car self-driving also? I don't see why it matters what makes the wheels turn.

He likes doing things out of the norms, and that's what gets people excited. If you don't know there is a huge demand of Tesla vehicles in Europe, especially in the Scandinavia. Musk is a huge fan of technology and automation. But in this case he is trying to iterate that mass produced is not bespoke/quality. I think he has a lot of fans that will support his vision.

The guy knows how to raise money from nothing, just like he raised millions from his latest 'fire thrower'.

I don't want to sound too harsh or too retrograde, but I think no vehicle without a human driver should be allowed on any public roadway, no exceptions. What is called artificial intelligence is no intelligence at all but a rather sophisticated computer program.

If someone wants to spend money and resources on this, good for them. They just should never expect any return on their investment.

I don't want to sound too harsh or too retrograde, but I think no vehicle without a human driver should be allowed on any public roadway, no exceptions. What is called artificial intelligence is no intelligence at all but a rather sophisticated computer program.

If someone wants to spend money and resources on this, good for them. They just should never expect any return on their investment.

"everything that can be invented has been invented." from 1899!

Imagine if they would invent the car today (human operated) instead of 100+ years ago, it would never be legal.

The same would go for alcohol.

Self driving cars will definetly/significantly lower the amount of accidents/deaths which is a good thing in my opinion. They should ban human drivers, really..

Last edited:
Imagine if they would invent the car today (human operated) instead of 100+ years ago, it would never be legal.

The same would go for alcohol.

Self driving cars will definetly/significantly lower the amount of accidents/deaths which is a good thing in my opinion. They should ban human drivers, really..

Maybe from a mechanistic "people are just numbers" perspective, sure. The problem is, politically, that would never fly. When something goes wrong, over everything else, we all need to have somebody to blame.

If a fully-autonomous vehicle malfunctions and kills people, who do we blame? Who do we arrest? Who do we fine, sanction, etc.? The Manufacturer? I'm sure they'll have plenty of CYA clauses in the purchase agreement. Not to mention, I don't know one programmer who's willing to say that it is absolutely guaranteed their program will never kill anyone ever, especially when it's a program as complicated as a self-driving car.

It is anathema to human psychology to simply shrug your shoulders and go "oh well, stuff happens" when someone dies in a car crash. We don't tend to think "big picture" when one of our loved ones or ourselves is affected negatively by something.