1746 HSCE high-speed counter module

mgruber

I have a 502 processor 1747 -- L524 with four K. memory in a seven slot rack.. I'm trying to configure a 1746 HSCE high-speed counter module. This module is in slots six ,, the a. b input lights on the high-speed module flash as I rotate the counter. Now to ask the really stupid question. How to access this module" I can go into the data table and look at input I:6.0 thou I:6.7 and see the high-speed module input addresses. But do not see them alternate or change. I guess what I'm asking is where and how do I configure the program to see these inputs on this module or what command is used in the latter logic. I scavenged this PLC out of the derelict piece of equipment I would like to understand how the high-speed counter is accessed and the information processed in the latter logic.. I see a high-speed counter tab on the instruction palette. But they are grayed out .

You must follow a set procedure for configuring the HSCE card.

The best advice I can give you is to read the manual and follow an example there that is the closest match for your application. There is no "Easy Button" for the HSCE cards. They work great once set up but getting there can be a steep hill to climb.

I took your advice and looked for the installation manual for the HSCE high speed control. All the configuration parameters are located in that manual. But it does not answer my question as how do I access it in PLC logic. It did not describe what logic or data table to access to gain information as to what is going on in the high-speed counter.

Get the User Manual, 1746-UM006, as well as the Installation Instructions.

There are also TechConnect knowledgebase documents describing the "minimum configuration" for the 1746-HSCE in various modes:

Range Mode: 13770
Rate Mode: 13774
Sequencer Mode: 13778

The "High Speed Counter" instructions and status files are specific to MicroLogix controllers with onboard HSC circuitry. They don't apply to the 1746-HSCE.

All data exchange between the controller and the module needs to be programmed; there are no dialog boxes or configuration windows for status information for the module.

There is a pretty nice configuration window for the module; click "Advanced" then "Configure" in the I/O Configuration. This "wizard" lets you enter values into fields and places them into a data file for you, then adds ladder logic to send that data file to the 1746-HSCE. Before this was added to RSLogix 500, you had to manually populate the configuration data file according to the user manual.

I hate to admit it but I feel like a complete retard .I do not quite understand what I'm doing or what I need to do. the instruction HSC is grayed out and will not allow me to access. I went to the advanced configuration file for this controller and just do not understand what it is asking me for input values.

OK, Now I see the confusion.

The HSC instruction is for a Micrologix Controller. It is not supported in the SLC 500. You should not be able to find this instruction in the manuals that Ken pointed you to :p.

The actual count shows up as an input so if the card is in slot 6 then the count will be at the address I:6.1

But, it will only be there if you configure the card properly and everything is wired properly.

Everything is wired exactly as it came out of the machinewith the original encoder. Channel A. channel B . channels Z.
all flash as I rotate the encoder. As stated before it is located in slot 6.. the manual for the high-speed counter said this is an asynchronous device and runs independent of the processor. The logic to access it has to be written ... it gave a Semple example. but believe it or not it doesn't make any sense. At least to me. the example is on page 2 of 19 of publication 1747 -- RM001G.. In short is there someone that can give me a simple example of how they would set something like this up in a brand-new program. Also in the advanced configuration set up . I am not sure what is the values I should enter into these . I believe it has something to do how many pulses per revolution my counter produces. My encoder is a Dynapar brand encoder . model number 62502000330 . I am trying to locate a datasheet now for this encoder . again thank you for any and all assistance

I hate to break it to you but as I said before, there just isn't any "Easy" way to learn this.

Get the manual which Ken suggested: 1746-UM006 and read it. It probably won't make sense the first time you go through it. The second time you will learn more. Then you can go back more times to the parts specific to what you are trying to do.

Chapter 6 has application examples. The first one is for a basic counter which sounds exactly like what you want. See how far you get and then ask for more help. I will say you need to get the M0 file set up properly to make this work. In the example code they assume you will set up all the configuration data in the N10 file and then copy it to the M0 file on the 1st plc scan. I'm not sure they ever really explain that in the manual... It's been a long time since I read it.

Good Luck

1. There is a communication channel on the backplane which you may be unaware of. These are the 'M' registers. There are output M registers for sending information from the CPU to an intelligent I/O module (such as the HSCE). There are also input M registers for reading information from the module. These are in addition to the standard input and output registers you see for the module.

2. The information to set up the HSCE is set up by copying numbers into the output M registers for this module. The information which is transferred to these M registers is detailed in the manual. As Nzdied1 mentioned, this transfer is typically done on a first pass as a standard COP command sending all the register information in one instruction. As noted before, because the HSCE is extremely versatile it is also complex to set up, choosing from a multitude of options. The 'wizard' that Ken mentioned helps to take some of the sting out of this, but it is best to read the manual to understand the options you are choosing.

3. While the primary information you want from the module while running (count, rate etc) is available in the standard Input registers, other information will only be available from the input M registers (this is typically status information)

I hope this helps. When I first programmed one of these the helpful 'wizard' wasn't available and it took a number of tries to get it right.

Last edited:
Struck at HSCE card configuration

I understand that the card configuration is to be done in M files. as like m0:e.1..bit 9/10/11 is for input type selection..etc etc...But how to access this M file/register? I have installed HSCE card in Chasis & selecting the card , thru adv configuration set the M0/M1 length,scanned input words etc. But still M file not showing in data files..what is my mistake..??

You cannot "open and view" an M0 or M1 file.

The "Module" data is not a conventional Data Table file like the B3, T4, N7, etc data tables.

Instead, an M0 or M1 file can only be addressed by an instruction, like XIC/XIO or MOV or COP. That's why there are examples for the configuration ladder logic in the user manuals to copy M0 and M1 data to and from ordinary data tables.