OT: how to deal with "backseat drivers" at work

A_G

Lifetime Supporting Member
How do you guys deal with people who don't know much about PLC's, programming, troubleshooting etc but like to look over your shoulder and give unsolicited advice? Or think a task will take ten minutes when it will actually take 10 hours? Kind of a vent but also interested in getting feedback on this type of situation.

Every time I am spoken to while working on programming, I lose ten minutes and have to regain my train of thought. I will explain that politely.

If I am troubleshooting, I will gladly carry on a conversation and explain what I am doing, and enjoy any advice given.

If I am working on something mechanical, everyone watching gets to pitch in. If you hand a greasy pipe wrench to a guy in slacks and polo shirt, he will either make a hand or disappear, along with the rest of the observers. win-win.

Several times over the years I've simply handed the offending person my laptop and asked them to let me know when they are finished.

Probably not the most constructive way to deal with the problem, but it's worked every time I've used it.

Several times over the years I've simply handed the offending person my laptop and asked them to let me know when they are finished.

Probably not the most constructive way to deal with the problem, but it's worked every time I've used it.

I have done that a few times myself, another one is tell them "did I hand you my cape? step back son and let me show you how its done" or "get the (&%#@ out of here"

Guess im not as polite as Paul... no wonder nobody showed up at my retirement party :oops:

There is nothing more frustrating than back seat drivers in any situation, It can be frustrating and cause you to loose concentration especially if their knowledge is limited, however, I'm sure we have all been there when you wish you could takeover i.e. being a backseat driver yourself. I do admit though there can be some situations where a second opinion can be a help when you may have your blinkers on but nobody likes a smart A&S£ lol

When I was new to the industry I would always try to be nice, answer questions, and explain on what I was trying to do. I was still learning things like my company's equipment, software, and my own skills on the fly - so that made things difficult when it came to realizing if the person taking to me knew anything, giving constructive advice, or just being an asshat.

Now that I've learned a lot, when someone comes around being a prick and talking out of their arse I just tell them that I'll need some time alone to come up with a solution and I'll explain the solution when I'm finished. If I need any assistance during that time I'll come find them and let them know. Sometimes you can point them in a different direction and ask them to gather information from operators or other people around the shop and come back to you. Usually once people like that start walking around they'll forget what they were supposed to do and get sidetracked.
If they don't get what I'm throwing down and don't go away, then I'll close my computer and go to the bathroom or get a drink.
Still hanging around when I come back? That's when it's "Roadhouse: time to not be nice" time!

On the flip side: when someone comes around that does know something, then it's actually enjoyable to discuss the problem, theories, etc.

"If you could fix it, I wouldn't be here."

When I was troubleshooting on the shop floor what seemed like a problem in a new machine's program I would step back from the computer. I would concentrate on the sequence and its implementation in the ladder. I didn't realize it at the time but often my hand would be circling imitating the scan cycle. A coworker told others "if you see Bernie doing this" (imitating my hand movements) "just leave him alone, he'll come up with the solution quicker."

Otherwise if troubleshooting a hardware or a combination problem I was happy to explain my thinking and problem solving methods with those helping.

I was happy to explain after I figured it out... to many times I heard "I seen this before" and got dragged down a rat hole and was in deep before I realized what I was doing, I worked a lot on the night shift in my early days so working on my own was a good thing, I just talked to myself a little too much :)

Don't you have guys who run "interference" for you? When I was working for an integrator, one of the guy on the commissioning team would engage in conversation with whoever trying to engage me, thus leave me alone to do my work.

Now days, working directly, I tend to like to have conversation with the techs since I consider part of my job is mentoring.

Regarding people who don't actually know anything about what I'm doing, I'll often just humour them before I guide them through the reasons why X won't work, or no I can't do Y because of Z. I'm also pretty early in my career so I may not be as surly as some of you are :ROFLMAO:

I do however enjoy listening to people who have constructive feedback or ideas, and I'm more than willing to learn or accept advice from people who don't try to tell me how to do the job that they're paying me to do.

The other thing I was taught in a stamping plant years ago was if someone was standing around while you were working was to stop working, turn around and watch them standing there.

Also, there was frequent requests for tickets. No ticket - no show, or $10 cash each

Plus, I give them the "Let me know when you're done" line and walk away for a break.