Studio 5000 - Hide UDT name in tag description

FreeAtLast

I'm using Rockwell Studio 5000 V32.
Does anyone know how to hide the UDT name from the tag description when tag descriptions are displayed?

Instead of hiding all tag descriptions, I want to be able to write an occasional description above a tag, yet leave all other tags description free. The problem is that if descriptions are set (in options) to be displayed, it automatically shows the name of a UDT as the first line of a tag description.

UDTs combine the tag description with the UDT description.

Take a look at the UDT definition and look at the individual member description column. Whatever is in there, will be combined with the tag description.

This is referred to as "Pass-Through" descriptions. If you open the Controller Properties and select the Project tab you can turn this on and off. Note that this affects the entire project. So if you have a description applied to a timer, that description is also passed through to the done bit, accumulated value, etc. When you see these tags in the tag window with descriptions that are grayed out you will know that those are pass through descriptions. You can manually type in your own descriptions to override those if you choose. But for UDTs they go a step further and actually combine descriptions.

OG

Last edited:
Thanks. I had cleared out all the individual udt member descriptions, but I didn't realize that the description shown above my tag was actually from the parent I was aliased to.

Erasing the descriptions of the aliased tags fixed the issue.