Micrologix 1100 data logging

Norml

Hi all,

I am setting up a small SCADA system using Micrologix 1100 PLCs - about 8 of them. I just want to log data into a data historian like Canary Labs so that I can tie process variables with batch numbers and run some trend charts. I was thinking of using KepWare for the OPC interface between the Historian and the 1100.

Do I need to use the data logging function to queue up the data or can I simply update the tags when a process is complete? I guess it's the retrieving of OPC data that confuses me. A little help or kick in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Norm

Norml,
My advice is to make sure the opc server you choose is compatible the mlx1100s built in ethernet. I am putting a mlx 1100 on a wonderware setup but ww does not currently support the 1100 directly. The literature says they support micrologix on enet but they neglected to note that you have to use a net-eni to do so. A net-eni costs more than the 1100!

Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Marc

Ps rslinx works fine

I use Canary Labs on several RSLinx OEM machines along with Intellution iHistorian. Remember you must use RSLinx OEM or higher to do OPC. Are you looking to continuously log and trend or just batches? I do continuous logging and all you need to do is pick your PLC addresses in the logger software, configure each, set your sample rate and a few other things related to files. In RSLinx OEM configure a topic to match your Canary Labs.
I’m off work for awhile and can’t give you any specifics. If only I could remote in to my desktop.

Any version of RSLinx will work for you except Lite and Single (Machine/User??). Lite, the free version, isn't an OPC server, and the single PLC model obviously won't work for your 8 PLCs. KepServer Ex would work for you at $895, I think.

Logging falls in the SCADA or "Historian" realm. It shouldn't matter if you're doing "continuous" or "batching" - that's really just a matter of your trigger condition (based on a timer or a condition). An HMI (like RSView Classic) can handle really limited datalogging and trending.

Your best bet for logging data from 8 PLCs is into an SQL Database. I'd recommend checking out FactorySQL from Inductive Automation. You can sign up for a free online demo here where they'll show you how it works.

Thanks for the good info guys. I need to trigger a logging event at the end of a machine cycle - for example I want the max temp of a heating process, air pressure etc. No problem capturing the data into N integer registers.

My plan was to avoid RSLinx altogether since it confuses the **** out of me. I was hoping to use KepServerEX with an Allen Bradley driver suite. I'll call them to see if they support the Micrologix 1100 directly. I already talked to Canary Labs and they have no problem talking to KepWare.

Yeah, Kepware supports it. Here's the exact plugin for KepServer Ex. Click the "Devices" tab to see the 1100.

I think RSLinx is Rockwells most straightforward program. I might gripe about the licensing scheme and price, but it's a good program that I've never heard described as complicated.

Please update us on how Kepware works for you.

Norml said:
Thanks for the good info guys. I need to trigger a logging event at the end of a machine cycle - for example I want the max temp of a heating process, air pressure etc. No problem capturing the data into N integer registers.

My plan was to avoid RSLinx altogether since it confuses the **** out of me. I was hoping to use KepServerEX with an Allen Bradley driver suite. I'll call them to see if they support the Micrologix 1100 directly. I already talked to Canary Labs and they have no problem talking to KepWare.

Last edited:
surferb said:
I think RSLinx is Rockwells most straightforward program. I might gripe about the licensing scheme and price, but it's a good program that I've never heard described as complicated.
I have very little problems with RSLinx, but I have used it since it came out. At our facility the biggest problem is from those who rarely need to setup the drivers (20+ techs and a few engineers). Most laptops are configured for a few specific machines and the techs just click and go on-line. When someone changes settings for a different machine then the screaming starts. If someone has never configed a driver and has little experience in any kind of communications it can be hair pulling for sure.

Last edited:
A good point. I've used the serial driver (the autoconfigure typically works great), the emulator, and the flavors of Ethernet drivers. I've always had someone else to configure the PCMK and various other connection types.

The really old versions had some strange quirks - like the click order and needing to add a new node in the Ethernet driver before your new one would work, but those were bugs that have been long fixed. As far as I know, very little has changed in several years - I say that as a good thing. We're talking about, what's now known as "RSLinx Classic" - the OPC flavor.

I have very little experience with the newer version(s) of RSLinx (Enterprise?) that speak FactoryTalk to support SE. I hear a lot of gripes on the forums about that series. It's unfortunate because the underlying technologies are better than the old ones. It seems that the implementation needs to "mature" - that's been the line for several years now. There's inherently more complexity since it's grown to support many other things, notably a distributed (client/server) architecture.

John Soltesz said:
At our facility the biggest problem is from those who rarely need to setup the drivers (20+ techs and a few engineers). If someone has never configed a driver and has little experience in any kind of communications it can be hair pulling for sure.

As a follow up, Kepware told me that KepServerEX will connect directly with the Micrologix 1100 without having to purchase the ENI module.

You're saying the most basic version of KepServer EX includes AB drivers? Is that at $795. (They also have a free 2 hour trial for everything).

Norml said:
As a follow up, Kepware told me that KepServerEX will connect directly with the Micrologix 1100 without having to purchase the ENI module.

John Soltesz said:
I have very little problems with RSLinx, but I have used it since it came out. At our facility the biggest problem is from those who rarely need to setup the drivers (20+ techs and a few engineers). Most laptops are configured for a few specific machines and the techs just click and go on-line. When someone changes settings for a different machine then the screaming starts. If someone has never configed a driver and has little experience in any kind of communications it can be hair pulling for sure.

I know your pain. RSLinx can be confusing if you use it very infrequently and you have a lot of different AB equipment that uses a lot of different drivers. Unless people use it all of the time, they are very uncomfortable with it. It seems strange to people that you have to use two programs to communicate with an AB plc (unless it is the dreaded plc2).