Read value from second PLC via ethernet - ML1400/Logix 500

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I have two ML1400 CPUs on Ethernet.

PLC1 is 192.168.2.2
PLC2 is 192.168.2.3

I can see them in Linx, connect to them and program them via ethernet.

I've done modbus and devicenet reads/writes using the MSG block before. All I want to do is poll PLC 2 every once in a while (or even during every scan and grab 10 variable values and store them in PLC1

I set up the usual MSG file, Routing File, etc. My Integer table is large enough, nothing overwriting anything.

In the Setup screen I have MultiHop set to 192.168.2.2 -> 192.168.2.3

This Controller:
Channel = 1 (integral, ethernet)
command = 500 CPU Read
Data table address = N7:60
element size = 1

Target Device:
timeout = 33
data table address = N7:1
Local/Remote = Local
MultiHop = Yes
Routing Info = RI12:0

My MSG block is not timing out or other error, but I do not see the data. Am I missing something? Yes, both controllers are in run!

Thanks!

If you are looking for 10 variables then you have to set the element size to 10 otherwise you are only reading the first variable which is N7:1.

gscure, yes, I am only trying for one variable, I will increase the size once all is addressed.

bernie, No, the MSG block just sits on the main ladder program.

Not getting the value of N7:1 from my second processor. It seems I set this up ok...

Thanks

Can you share the solution with the forum?
Yes, I got additional help on a separate thread.

hope this thread link works:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=49606

Basically, I got one read then DN. I needed to re-read in an interval to get updates from the second controller. What I did, was add a cyclic 60 second timer and used that timer's DN bit to trigger the message read. The timer in the image shows 10 seconds for testing purposes.

Check out the attached image for code and block setup.

Hope this helps others as well!

Cheers

Tim

Ethernet MSG Read.jpg

Last edited: