siemens s7 plc communication capability

panthripu

Hi guys
I am thinking about the limit up to what siemens S7 PLC can handle communication over ethernet.
We have siemens S7 PLC communicating to 6 other PLCs over ethernet and HMI server. If I add new PLC and setup communication with that PLC , how can I know if it will not overload the network and what is the present load.
Any comments please.......

To monitor network usage you could use a managed switch in your network, but I highly doubt that the network will be the bottleneck in your system.

Do you really have 7 CPUs communucating with each other or do you have 7 CPUs on the same network communicating with the HMI?

The number of S7 connections available varies by CPU but you can tell how many are in use fron the hardware config or open Netpro so see how many connections are defined for each CPU.

Nick

We have S7 PLC's which communicate with 16 PLC's, up to 12 ethernet devices (socket comms), some Scada servers, some MES servers and another server that extracts large chunks of data every 100ms.
We have 8 such PLC setups using the same network.

PLC to PLC comms don't have an issue.
The Scada server however, having over 20 clients, 10+ connected PLC's and over 65k tags, is running a bit slow. Not very slow, just not fast either.

I'd say, with the information supplied, you still have a very long way to go before it starts becoming a problem.

It depends on which series (1200, 300, 400) and the CPU.

Siemens writes 8 connections at 1200 series, but in connection with a project with communication between 8 pcs 1200 PLC systems, I have experienced the Ethernet port closes completely at great communication load.
There was no communication to Step7, so power off to reset. :angr:

So, by careful planning and selection of equipment for such a task.