Today’s PLC’s

back in 1994 i used an old shoebox style SLC500 to automate 3 roller shutter windows at my then home.

it had a day light sensor, thermostat set at 27 Degree C and auto/man switch with local raise lower switches at each shutter. I made the shutters come down at dusk and raise at dawn + corrected time delay (this processor did not have a RTC) throughout the year to raise at the desired time depending on sunrise time. as I'm in Australia the summers are hot so I lowered the shutters 75% closed to shade the rooms without them being dark.

it is installed in the roof cavity with no cooling and rode through many 42degree C days in the land of Oz.
its still running to my knowledge 24 years later as i left my business card in the controller and have never had a call.

the last robust Allen Bradley (not Rockwell) PLC range as well as that Gem called PLC5 !

Last edited:
I have a SLC 5/05 in my race car. It's a 68 GTO with a bored and stroked 455 and custom built fuel injection cranking out 550HP to the rear wheels. It has a T56 dual overdrive transmission with a 2.56 rear gear. I run it in road rallies like the Silver State Classic https://sscc.us/
There is a prox switch on the drive shave going to a HSCE card for the actual speed. Then the engine RPM is also going to the HSCE for exact RPM. Then I have analog air pressure sensors in the front, engine compartment, under the car and at the rear above and below the wing. Then the wing is adjustable from the touch screen to 2 linear servos controlled by the SLC. Then there are ride level sensors in the front and back. The back ones allow me to control the air bag settings to raise or lower the back to adjust the pitch of the car going down the road. Very important when your going 180mph+ in a car shaped like a brick. It also controls the door locks, electric windows and the AC temperature. Gotta have AC when your driving in the dessert in a 5 layer fire suit, neck brace and helmet. I am also using the serial port to poll data from the fuel injection computer so I can display real time air/fuel mixture and fuel consumption. My next goal is to use the SLC to make a sort of cruse control, but it will adjust the speed in the last 2 miles so I cross the finish line at exactly the average speed for the distance for the class I am entered in.

Very nice, I would love to drive the Silver State Classic, looks like a blast!

Back in the 1980's I had a West 2068 dual setpoint heating controller and a programmable 7 day timer controlling my central heating system. I guess these days you could do it with any PLC or a raspberry Pi for a fraction of the cost.