Kinetix 5700 Networking Issue

macese

Hi,

I have 3 Kinetix 5700 controllers on EIP in a linear topology going to a compactlogix controller. One of the 5700 controllers (the middle one in the chain) intermittently but routinely has been faulting out giving, NODE FLT 06 - LOST CTRL CONN. This has been happening on and off for several months, usually once every week or so but today it continually recurs.

I believe I have narrowed down what the problem is but don't know how to fix it. In the network statistics on the controller IP page I can see over 3800 connections and growing while the limit is 128. My connection closes, close errors, and timeouts are all very high and increment in unison when the fault occurs.

It seems to be some device or address is continually requesting a connection and timing out but I do not know how to narrow down which device that is. Below is a screen shot of the page I'm describing.

Any help is appreciated!

Drive 3 and 4 Servo 02.jpg

Update:

After cutting power to the drive and rebooting it the memory seems to have cleared and the number of connections were correct and the fault was gone. However, this has been done before and inevitably the fault recurs.

Does anyone have any idea how to diagnose why so many connections are opening? See attached images.

Drive 3 and 4 AFTER REBOOT.jpg Drive 3 and 4.jpg

I had what appears to be the exact same problem on one of our systems last week. I changed the cable, tried a different port on module, and connected the module directly to the network switch. In all cases, if I unplugged the network from the module briefly, it would take 2 or 3 minutes for it to recover. All the other axis modules recovered within a few seconds. After a power cycle, the troublesome module also recovered just as fast as the others.

I didn't check the connection status with a web browser though. Anyway, on vacation now but just thought I would mention this before I vacated :)

Rob3,

Not really, we haven't had the issue arise in several weeks now but we are still working with Rockwell and the OEM to address the problem - for now once it is reset it runs fine for weeks to months until the network is flooded again causing the fault.

Are you using managed switches? The LOST CTRL CONN fault can come from a CST time synch error (CIP synch error). Look in the PLC's minor fault list. I had the same thing happen to me (2) weeks ago when we hooked up a machine to a local interlock network and the Kinetix drives began to fault with that error. The fix was to use managed ethernet switches that support CIP synch (IEEE 588).

I called tech support, explained the issue and all the troubleshooting steps I had taken. They told me to swap the module with a new one (which they supplied) and as far as I know, it's been fine since. That was over 2 weeks ago.

Any luck with this topic? I have a similar case. Intermitten connection faults causing the safety to drop out in the robot cell. Must the managed switch be IEEE 588 rated??

Any suggestions would be appreciated

One of the solutions we have used for K5700 drives (with a non R processor) was to plug the Processor -> First Drive -> Daisy Chain to additional Drives -> Outside World. It tends to eliminate the CipSync faults, control sync faults, etc. (But if you have a 1gb processor enet connection you lose the 1GB)

My similar problem ending up being enterprise scanning/monitoring software opening up sockets on the drive. I ended up put a Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX in to act as a firewall to block external traffic. The customer wouldn't handle it on their end. Checking the connections was helpful to diagnose. I never got my jitter below 700, and occasionally see it spike as high as 4500 because of scada comms. I'm running on a 1769 compactlogix, and the unscheduled comms tend to bog down the PLC. The newer 5069 compactlogix don't have that issue because of the concurrent processing enhancements (multi-core). The jitter didn't seem to impact the drive any though. I also had some weird issues with the grand master clock (time sync master) because I tried to use VLANs to hide the drive from the WAN, but the PLC had to be exposed to the WAN. The PLCs would see each other and promote one PLC, but the drives couldn't see it, so they would hang up being unable to synchronize. I had to abandon VLANs. With a stratix switch with CIP Sync, this wouldn't be an issue, but I'm just using NTrons and they don't have the CIP Sync capabilities.